From: Jonathan Corbet on
On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 06:21:18 +0200
Florian Tobias Schandinat <FlorianSchandinat(a)gmx.de> wrote:

> > + for (i = 0; i <= highest_reg; i+= 4)
> > + writel(0x0, engine + i);
> > +
>
> this obsoletes
> /* Init 2D engine reg to reset 2D engine */
> writel(0x0, engine + VIA_REG_KEYCONTROL);
> as VIA_REG_KEYCONTROL is 0x02C.

Ah, good point, the separate write is superfluous. Removed.

[...]
> > +#define VIA_REG_MONOPATBGC_M1 0x05C /* Add FG color of Pattern. */
> > +#define VIA_REG_COLORPAT_M1 0x100 /* from 0x100 to 0x1ff */
> > +
>
> All of these defines are unused. I admit that it is my fault. I've not
> yet found a way I like to use them as the meaning of the same hardware
> address changed. I think the most clean long term solution would be to
> put the engines in separate files and the definitions in private headers
> to at least avoid the need to decode the engine version in the name.
> However as the old headers already contain a bunch of trash feel free to
> ignore this issue and add it for now.

Harald's initial patch included a mechanism for remapping register writes
on the fly depending on which engine was in use; these defines were used
for that purpose. Your reworking of the 2D code obliterated that patch,
and made it mostly unnecessary. I kept the defines around, though, because
I thought that documenting the registers can only be a good thing.

Thanks,

jon