From: Jonathan Corbet on
On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 19:44:51 +0000
Florian Tobias Schandinat <FlorianSchandinat(a)gmx.de> wrote:

> This patch puts redesigned versions of the basic io functions that
> are used overall the driver in an extra header.

I don't object to the basic idea of these patches, but...as I'm sure
you can imagine, this stuff will conflict hard with the work I'm trying
to prepare for submission. I, too, have had to go in to those
functions and do things like add locking. Is there any chance you
could hold off for just a *little* bit while I get things together?

As I said before, I was traveling this last week. Now I'm home and can
get back to this...

Thanks,

jon
From: Florian Tobias Schandinat on
Hi Jon,

Jonathan Corbet schrieb:
> On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 19:44:51 +0000
> Florian Tobias Schandinat <FlorianSchandinat(a)gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> This patch puts redesigned versions of the basic io functions that
>> are used overall the driver in an extra header.
>
> I don't object to the basic idea of these patches, but...as I'm sure
> you can imagine, this stuff will conflict hard with the work I'm trying
> to prepare for submission. I, too, have had to go in to those
> functions and do things like add locking. Is there any chance you
> could hold off for just a *little* bit while I get things together?

Huh, I really didn't expect that to conflict with anything you were
doing as those are basic functions that are only changed a bit and I
didn't find anything that would cause any disturbance in some of your trees.
As for locking I'd rather suggest doing it in the caller of these
functions as they are often bundled together.
Feel free to ignore theses patches if they get in your way. As I said
the next merge window is mostly for you, I just try to get some stuff in
that has a near zero regression potential and that I don't expect to
conflict with yours.

> As I said before, I was traveling this last week. Now I'm home and can
> get back to this...

Thanks,

Florian Tobias Schandinat