From: Peter Hüwe on
Am Donnerstag 15 Juli 2010 23:43:20 schrieb Andy Walls:
> > ... use the PCI_VDEVICE macro, and thus improves readability.
> I have to disagree. The patch may improve typesetting, but it degrades
> clarity and maintainability from my perspective.
> So I'm going to NAK this for ivtv, unless someone can help me understand
> any big picture benefit that I may not see from my possibly myopic
> perspective.

Hi Andy,

absolutely no problem ;) - I thing that is one of the great things about open
source that people can have different opinions and discuss them.

Patches are proposals only, and if I spark a discussion which brings the
development process further or from which I can learn something, I'm a lucky
guy ;)

> PCI_ANY_ID indicates to the reader a wildcard match is being
> performed.
Yeah, but I get absolutely no information out of the 0, 0, parameters either -
unless I look up the function - but then I could also look up the Macro.

> BTW, I have not seen a similar patch come in my mailbox for
> cx18-driver.c. Why propose the change for ivtv and not cx18?

That might be the case since I picked out several different locations using
cscope (by gut instinct) - so the patchset is not comprehensive.
There are still a lot of places that are not converted, I just picked some at
random and stopped at 25 patches.
The reason behind this was that I almost expected some kind of controversy and
discussion about the changes - and since I'm getting some NACKs I guess this
was a smart move - imagine I had converted the whole kernel source just to get
a simple NACK ;)

Thanks,
Peter