From: Christoph Hellwig on
On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 12:17:49PM +0100, Mel Gorman wrote:
> /*
> + * TODO: Try merging with migrations version of putback_lru_pages
> + */
> +static noinline_for_stack void putback_lru_pages(struct zone *zone,
> + struct zone_reclaim_stat *reclaim_stat,
> + unsigned long nr_anon, unsigned long nr_file,
> + struct list_head *page_list)
> +{

I hate to nitpick on this, but with noinline_for_stack a prototype
really is unreadbale unless the function identifier goes to the next
line. Compare the one above with:

static noinline_for_stack void
putback_lru_pages(struct zone *zone, struct zone_reclaim_stat *reclaim_stat,
unsigned long nr_anon, unsigned long nr_file,
struct list_head *page_list)

> -static unsigned long shrink_inactive_list(unsigned long nr_to_scan,
> +static noinline_for_stack unsigned long shrink_inactive_list(unsigned long nr_to_scan,
> struct zone *zone, struct scan_control *sc,
> int priority, int file)

Same here, just even worse due to the spill over ove 80 characters.

From: Andrew Morton on
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 12:17:49 +0100
Mel Gorman <mel(a)csn.ul.ie> wrote:

> shrink_inactive_list() sets up a pagevec to release unfreeable pages. It
> uses significant amounts of stack doing this. This patch splits
> shrink_inactive_list() to take the stack usage out of the main path so
> that callers to writepage() do not contain an unused pagevec on the
> stack.

You can get the entire pagevec off the stack - just make it a
static-to-shrink_inactive_list() pagevec-per-cpu.

Locking just requires pinning to a CPU. We could trivially co-opt
shrink_inactive_list()'s spin_lock_irq() for that, but
pagevec_release() can be relatively expensive so it'd be sad to move
that inside spin_lock_irq(). It'd be better to slap a
get_cpu()/put_cpu() around the whole thing.