From: Martin on
Hi,

I've just been reading an article about TDE,
in the article I came across the following sentence

The database encryption key that is created in the user database, in which
TDE has been implemented, is included in the standard database backup. It is
stored in the boot record of the database file so that it can be accessed
and used to decrypt the user database.

my question is what is the boot record of the database file? (I've googled
this but I've not found a definitive answer..)

additionally - I've not actually implemeted TDE yet.
do the following backup statements still work

RESTORE LABELONLY
RESTORE VERIFYONLY
RESTORE HEADERSONLY
RESTORE FILELISTONLY

as I believe the TDE backup is encryted?

many thanks for you help

From: Tibor Karaszi on
The very first page in a database file (page 0) is the boot page.

You can do RESTORE HEADERONLY, but not RESTORE FILELISTONLY. I haven't
tested the other two. I would guess you can't do VERIFYONLY (would be pretty
meaningless).

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp

From: Martin on
Hi Tibor,

Thanks for the answer.
By page I assume you mean the very first data page?
Is there anything else special stored on that page - can use a dbcc to look
at what data is on what pages?

cheers

martin.

"Tibor Karaszi" <tibor_please.no.email_karaszi(a)hotmail.nomail.com> wrote in
message news:e01xcplyKHA.1796(a)TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...