From: Kyle on

It's the lazy execution boolean or operator

x1 = nil
x2 = [1,2,3]
x3 = [4,5,6]

a = x1 || x2.push(4, 5)
b = x3 || x2.push(6, 7)
# assignment operator version often used to initialize a variable if it
doesn't already have a value
@var ||= 'something'
@var ||= 'whatevs'

after wards:
a == x2 == [1, 2, 3, 4, 5]
b == x3 == [4, 5, 6]
@var == 'something'

From: Kyle on

Sorry I hit send on the previous message before I finished -- plus I suppose
"lazy" evaluation was a bad term for it. Basically, the right side of the
operator isn't evaluated if the left side expression is true. && is simillar
in that the right hand side isn't evaluated if the left side is false.

From: Kyle on

Oh lawd i'm a total jackass for not realizing there was more to the e-mail.
Disregard the previous nonsense. | | is used to indicate a block variable. Ya
gotta read the pickaxe book or another ruby guide for more on what that means:

http://www.ruby-doc.org/docs/ProgrammingRuby/

From: Steve Wilhelm on
Block syntax is also clearly explained in "The Ruby Programming
Language" by Flanagan & Matsumoto in section 5.4.1.

From: duxieweb on
2009/11/16 Steve Wilhelm <steve(a)studio831.com>:
> Block syntax is also clearly explained in "The Ruby Programming
> Language" by Flanagan & Matsumoto in section 5.4.1.

Thanks all.
I was reading O'Reilly Learning Ruby, is this a recommended book?

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: bsearch.rb
Next: Newbie question: Defining a numeric type