From: Steve_Karl on
Here's the setup:

2 PCs both with a wireless connection to a Veriz. FIOS router for internet.
The FIOS router is 3 floors below the office. ( Verizon tech morooons at their worst ... thank'ya'very'much )

We want to speed up the connection between the 2 pcs which are right beside each other in the office,
to speed up large data transfers.

My plan:
Use a Netgear switch and hard wire the 2 pcs to each other using their LAN connection into the switch.
Nothing else into the switch. ( he won't run a clable from the basement FIOS router to the 3rd floor )

Will windows ( xp and 7 ) find the fastest route, will it use both, or will it continue to use the wireless?
Is there a way to define specific tasks to use one specific network connection as in LAN as opposed to wireless?

Thanks,

Steve

From: John Braner on
On 16/06/2010 13:39, Steve_Karl wrote:
> Here's the setup:
>
> 2 PCs both with a wireless connection to a Veriz. FIOS router for internet.
> The FIOS router is 3 floors below the office. ( Verizon tech morooons at their worst ... thank'ya'very'much )
>
> We want to speed up the connection between the 2 pcs which are right beside each other in the office,
> to speed up large data transfers.
>
> My plan:
> Use a Netgear switch and hard wire the 2 pcs to each other using their LAN connection into the switch.
> Nothing else into the switch. ( he won't run a clable from the basement FIOS router to the 3rd floor )
>
> Will windows ( xp and 7 ) find the fastest route, will it use both, or will it continue to use the wireless?
> Is there a way to define specific tasks to use one specific network connection as in LAN as opposed to wireless?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

I think you'll have trouble with this. I've had PCs with both wireless and LAN connections taking
the "stupid" (ie not the one I want) route to another PC etc.

What about if - instead of a normal switch, you use another wireless router, and set it up as an
"access point" for the main wireless network. Then your PCs are wired into this device (and have a
LAN connection to each other) and it forwards internet traffic to the other wireless router. Do you
have any info in the Verizon router? Can you hook up an access point to it?

--
===========
John Braner

jbraner(a)NOblueyonderSPAM.co.uk
http://cdbaby.com/cd/JohnBraner
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
From: Steve_Karl on

"John Braner" <me(a)myhouse.com> wrote in message news:hvajbu$n62$1(a)news.eternal-september.org...
> On 16/06/2010 13:39, Steve_Karl wrote:
>> Here's the setup:
>>
>> 2 PCs both with a wireless connection to a Veriz. FIOS router for internet.
>> The FIOS router is 3 floors below the office. ( Verizon tech morooons at their worst ... thank'ya'very'much )
>>
>> We want to speed up the connection between the 2 pcs which are right beside each other in the office,
>> to speed up large data transfers.
>>
>> My plan:
>> Use a Netgear switch and hard wire the 2 pcs to each other using their LAN connection into the switch.
>> Nothing else into the switch. ( he won't run a clable from the basement FIOS router to the 3rd floor )
>>
>> Will windows ( xp and 7 ) find the fastest route, will it use both, or will it continue to use the wireless?
>> Is there a way to define specific tasks to use one specific network connection as in LAN as opposed to wireless?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Steve
>>

> I think you'll have trouble with this. I've had PCs with both wireless and LAN connections taking the "stupid" (ie not the one I
> want) route to another PC etc.
>
> What about if - instead of a normal switch, you use another wireless router, and set it up as an "access point" for the main
> wireless network. Then your PCs are wired into this device (and have a LAN connection to each other) and it forwards internet
> traffic to the other wireless router. Do you have any info in the Verizon router? Can you hook up an access point to it?
>
> --
> ===========
> John Braner
>
> jbraner(a)NOblueyonderSPAM.co.uk
> http://cdbaby.com/cd/JohnBraner
> http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner

Hi,

That makes sense. No info in the current router and it might be impossible to get
but I'll have a look at the possibility.

Thanks,

Steve

From: Phoenix on
On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 09:39:15 -0400, "Steve_Karl" <nospam(a)noway.com>
wrote:
> That makes sense. No info in the current router and it might be
impossible to get
> but I'll have a look at the possibility.

IIRC, there should be a sticker somewhere on the router with some
info; MAC address and key, I think, if it's like the home ones. If
you give Verizon the model number they *should * be able to tell you
more.
From: Steve_Karl on

"Phoenix" <fake(a)fakeemail.com> wrote in message news:almarsoft.2333068511868064038(a)news.eternal-september.org...
> On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 09:39:15 -0400, "Steve_Karl" <nospam(a)noway.com> wrote:
>> That makes sense. No info in the current router and it might be
> impossible to get
>> but I'll have a look at the possibility.
>
> IIRC, there should be a sticker somewhere on the router with some info; MAC address and key, I think, if it's like the home
> ones. If you give Verizon the model number they *should * be able to tell you more.

I'm starting to think the easiest way to do this is to have a shortcut to the wireless connection
and just disable it when doing data transfer. The PC will then have to use the LAN.