From: ToddAndMargo on
Hi All,

On sql 2005, where is that console that allows me to save my data
to a directory for easy backup? If I remember correctly, I can set this
on a schedule too? I was shown this a few years back, and for
my life I can not remember where it was. :'[

Many thanks,
-T
From: Erland Sommarskog on
ToddAndMargo (ToddAndMargo(a)invalid.com) writes:
> On sql 2005, where is that console that allows me to save my data
> to a directory for easy backup? If I remember correctly, I can set this
> on a schedule too? I was shown this a few years back, and for
> my life I can not remember where it was. :'[

The command to back up a database:

BACKUP DATABASE db TO DISK = '<somepath>'

Add WITH INIT if you use the same file every time, or else you will add
lots of backups to the same file.

To schedule it, select the SQL Server Agent Node and create a job to
run the command.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

From: ToddAndMargo on
On 05/07/2010 02:50 PM, Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> oddAndMargo (ToddAndMargo(a)invalid.com) writes:
>> > On sql 2005, where is that console that allows me to save my data
>> > to a directory for easy backup? If I remember correctly, I can set this
>> > on a schedule too? I was shown this a few years back, and for
>> > my life I can not remember where it was. :'[
>
> The command to back up a database:
>
> BACKUP DATABASE db TO DISK = '<somepath>'
>
> Add WITH INIT if you use the same file every time, or else you will add
> lots of backups to the same file.
>
> To schedule it, select the SQL Server Agent Node and create a job to
> run the command.
>
> -- Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel(a)sommarskog.se Links for SQL
> Server Books Online: SQL 2008:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/cc514207.aspx SQL 2005:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/bb895970.aspx SQL 2000:

Thank you!