From: John H Meyers on
On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 12:31:47 -0500:

> sandisk brand [recommended]

My Lexar (128MB) works fine (including fast turn-on);
it came formatted with FAT[16],
which permits ROM updating as well as use with the calc OS
(if the built-in calc card formatter writes FAT32,
then it will work with calc OS but not for ROM updates).

On the other hand, a SanDisk 1MB Cruzer Mini USB flash drive
I tried a couple of months ago was highly unreliable; go figure.

[r->] [OFF]
From: Claudio Lapilli on

Zeno wrote:
> In article <1158943267.505366.106990(a)i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> <no5software(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I never used such cards in my life , i see there are micro ( or mini )
> > versions, and "normal" versions. which one fits in the hp49g+ ? about
> > the different sizes, i think 256 is good right?
> >
> > I also read about FAT32, FA16, will i have to configure that?
> > any opnion on the sd reader i should buy?
> >
> > thanks, sor for the ignorance on the subject :O)
> >

> I have seen postings on the internet that some have had trouble geting
> the calculator to read SD cards tht were not the sandisk brand...I
> myself tried to uo use a Panasonic branded SD card that i had and it
> would not read it, but when I used a SanDisk branded one with the same
> calc it worked fine.
>
> In other words, use only Sandisk branded cards to play it safe.. I do
> not work for Sandisk, just know from personel experience they are
> better.

I disagree! Any quality SD card will work just fine, and many cheap
cards will work fine too. Only some very cheap cards may have trouble.
I've tested the following brands without any problems:

Sandisk
Delkin
Kingston
Rosewill (it's also manufactured by Delkin)

and I also have non-branded (generic!?) cards that work fine, but I
recommend getting good quality cards. The extra cost is worth the
reliability, in my case I had a (Kingston) card permanently inserted in
the calculator since december 2003, no problems so far either logically
or by physical wear out of the contacts. If you are planning to keep
your calculator (and your data) for a long time, buy a good card.
Speed is also a factor although not so important unless you manage big
files.

Claudio

From: no5software on
thanks all,

If i plan to use the card exclusevely for my calculator i dont even
need a computer reader/writer apparatus or do i ?
i pretend to use it ( the card ) in programs made with hpgcc ( i
answered and posted few emails months ago about hpwin :O)
bye

From: Claudio Lapilli on
Hi,

no5software(a)gmail.com wrote:
> thanks all,
>
> If i plan to use the card exclusevely for my calculator i dont even
> need a computer reader/writer apparatus or do i ?
> i pretend to use it ( the card ) in programs made with hpgcc ( i
> answered and posted few emails months ago about hpwin :O)
> bye

if you'll transfer lots of programs to/from your PC (you will if you
use hpgcc), it's much easier to use the SD card with a reader on the PC
than to use the cable to transfer the files, but the card reader is
(technically) not required.

Claudio

From: Steen Schmidt on
Claudio Lapilli wrote:

> and I also have non-branded (generic!?) cards that work fine, but I
> recommend getting good quality cards. The extra cost is worth the
> reliability, in my case I had a (Kingston) card permanently inserted
> in the calculator since december 2003, no problems so far either
> logically or by physical wear out of the contacts. If you are
> planning to keep your calculator (and your data) for a long time, buy
> a good card. Speed is also a factor although not so important unless
> you manage big files.

I also have a Kingston (128 MB Elite Pro) in my primary ARM calc (HP50G
currently), and have had so since the HP49G+ was released. I have 5
different cards (including one MMC and one mini-SD in its converter),
and all work flawlessly. I have also tried maybe 6 or 8 others, also
without problems.

There are performance differences, and different lengths of boot delay
(mostly dependent of formatting), but all have worked. I had a HP49G+
which developed a defective SD card slot though, but I got that one
replaced a long while back.

I love the SD interface since it makes it so easy to upgrade the ROM
and to send software back and forth (I code mostly on a PC nowadays, in
Debug4x and HP-GCC).

Cheers,
Steen