From: Jay G. Scott on

what's the deal w/ no configure script?

you do know that you DON'T NEED autoconf/automake to install, right?
they're not hiding behind that old dodge, are they? i'm so sick of
that.

if i supply a configure script, will you guys use it?

every time i try to go to a newer version of postfix, the
installation overwrites the previous version. and that
interferes w/ my system documentation. w/ a configure script
i can install into a safe, stub directory w/o clobbering the
existing files. then i can do a proper migration.

j.

From: Kenneth Marshall on
On Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 12:23:13PM -0500, Jay G. Scott wrote:

> what's the deal w/ no configure script?
>
> you do know that you DON'T NEED autoconf/automake to install, right?
> they're not hiding behind that old dodge, are they? i'm so sick of
> that.
>
> if i supply a configure script, will you guys use it?
>
> every time i try to go to a newer version of postfix, the
> installation overwrites the previous version. and that
> interferes w/ my system documentation. w/ a configure script
> i can install into a safe, stub directory w/o clobbering the
> existing files. then i can do a proper migration.
>
> j.

Hi Jay,

I doubt that it would be included for two reasons. First, the
additional support requirement to maintain the script. Second,
there is no generic script that would support the myriad of
setups that are in use with postfix. I can almost guarantee
that the script that would work for you would not work for
me, automatically at least. If that is the case, then the
existing "make install( or upgrade)" is as easy to use and
covers all the bases.

Cheers,
Ken

From: "Jay G. Scott" on
On Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 12:33:26PM -0500, Kenneth Marshall wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 12:23:13PM -0500, Jay G. Scott wrote:
> >
> > what's the deal w/ no configure script?
> >
> > you do know that you DON'T NEED autoconf/automake to install, right?
> > they're not hiding behind that old dodge, are they? i'm so sick of
> > that.
> >
> > if i supply a configure script, will you guys use it?
> >
> > every time i try to go to a newer version of postfix, the
> > installation overwrites the previous version. and that
> > interferes w/ my system documentation. w/ a configure script
> > i can install into a safe, stub directory w/o clobbering the
> > existing files. then i can do a proper migration.
> >
> > j.
> >
> Hi Jay,
>
> I doubt that it would be included for two reasons. First, the
> additional support requirement to maintain the script. Second,
> there is no generic script that would support the myriad of
> setups that are in use with postfix. I can almost guarantee

you do know that "myriad of setups" are exactly what
autoconf/automake/configure do, right?

--
Jay Scott 512-835-3553 gl(a)arlut.utexas.edu
Head of Sun Support, Sr. System Administrator

From: Brian Evans - Postfix List on
On 8/4/2010 1:23 PM, Jay G. Scott wrote:
> what's the deal w/ no configure script?
>
> you do know that you DON'T NEED autoconf/automake to install, right?
> they're not hiding behind that old dodge, are they? i'm so sick of
> that.
>
> if i supply a configure script, will you guys use it?
>
> every time i try to go to a newer version of postfix, the
> installation overwrites the previous version. and that
> interferes w/ my system documentation. w/ a configure script
> i can install into a safe, stub directory w/o clobbering the
> existing files. then i can do a proper migration.
>
> j.
The Postfix build system can already take this into account.

For example, Gentoo Linux sandboxes all builds in case something fails.
As part of this build system, it uses the following documented switches
to CCARGS in "make makefiles"

mycc="${mycc} -DDEF_DAEMON_DIR=\\\"/usr/$(get_libdir)/postfix\\\""
mycc="${mycc} -DDEF_MANPAGE_DIR=\\\"/usr/share/man\\\""
mycc="${mycc} -DDEF_README_DIR=\\\"/usr/share/doc/${PF}/readme\\\""
mycc="${mycc} -DDEF_HTML_DIR=\\\"/usr/share/doc/${PF}/html\\\""

This is only a sample of what can be built. More can be found here:
http://www.postfix.org/INSTALL.html

The postfix-install script respects install_root to sandbox a new
install that can be moved later.

From: "Jay G. Scott" on
On Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 01:40:29PM -0400, Brian Evans - Postfix List wrote:
> On 8/4/2010 1:23 PM, Jay G. Scott wrote:
>> what's the deal w/ no configure script?
>>
>> you do know that you DON'T NEED autoconf/automake to install, right?
>> they're not hiding behind that old dodge, are they? i'm so sick of
>> that.
>>
>> if i supply a configure script, will you guys use it?
>>
>> every time i try to go to a newer version of postfix, the
>> installation overwrites the previous version. and that
>> interferes w/ my system documentation. w/ a configure script
>> i can install into a safe, stub directory w/o clobbering the
>> existing files. then i can do a proper migration.
>>
>> j.
> The Postfix build system can already take this into account.

fine. but, c'mon. that's no reason to reinvent the wheel.
autoconf/automake do this in a way that's already
familiar to everyone. if you use the standard stuff
you save everybody grief. this one-off method isn't easier.
or if it is, it's time to package this method and replace
autoconf/automake.