From: Andrew Poulos on
At <url: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browser_cookie > it claims that:

"All current web browsers can store a fairly large amount of data (2-32
MB) via JavaScript using the DOM property window.name. This data can be
used instead of session cookies and is also cross-domain. The technique
can be coupled with JSON/JavaScript objects to store complex sets of
session variables on the client side."

Is it in fact a good idea to use window.name to store data?

Andrew Poulos
From: David Mark on
On Jun 8, 6:18 pm, Andrew Poulos <ap_p...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> At <url:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browser_cookie> it claims that:
>
> "All current web browsers can store a fairly large amount of data (2-32
> MB) via JavaScript using the DOM property window.name. This data can be
> used instead of session cookies and is also cross-domain. The technique
> can be coupled with JSON/JavaScript objects to store complex sets of
> session variables  on the client side."
>
> Is it in fact a good idea to use window.name to store data?

In a word, no.
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
Andrew Poulos wrote:

> At <url: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browser_cookie > it claims that:
>
> "All current web browsers can store a fairly large amount of data (2-32
> MB) via JavaScript using the DOM property window.name. This data can be
> used instead of session cookies and is also cross-domain. The technique
> can be coupled with JSON/JavaScript objects to store complex sets of
> session variables on the client side."

Someone should edit that nonsense out of the article.

> Is it in fact a good idea to use window.name to store data?

No. (And I'm sure you're old enough to find out why, not that it has not
already been discussed here.)

PointedEars
--
var bugRiddenCrashPronePieceOfJunk = (
) // Plone, register_function.js:16
From: David Mark on
On Jun 8, 6:24 pm, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedE...(a)web.de>
wrote:
> Andrew Poulos wrote:
> > At <url:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browser_cookie> it claims that:
>
> > "All current web browsers can store a fairly large amount of data (2-32
> > MB) via JavaScript using the DOM property window.name. This data can be
> > used instead of session cookies and is also cross-domain. The technique
> > can be coupled with JSON/JavaScript objects to store complex sets of
> > session variables  on the client side."
>
> Someone should edit that nonsense out of the article.

Why bother? Some clod will just put it back in a minute later.

Wikipedia's JS coverage is laughable. For example, the entry on
jQuery reads like an infomercial. I once flagged it as such, but of
course...

http://adamcadre.ac/content/brown/
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
David Mark wrote:

> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>> Andrew Poulos wrote:
>> > At <url:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browser_cookie> it claims that:
>> >
>> > "All current web browsers can store a fairly large amount of data (2-32
>> > MB) via JavaScript using the DOM property window.name. This data can be
>> > used instead of session cookies and is also cross-domain. The technique
>> > can be coupled with JSON/JavaScript objects to store complex sets of
>> > session variables on the client side."
>>
>> Someone should edit that nonsense out of the article.
>
> Why bother?

Quality does not maintain itself.

> Some clod will just put it back in a minute later.

It is not too much of an effort to put an article one edited on one's watch
list, and revert changes where and when necessary. There's also a built-in
way to discuss about (suggested) edits.

> Wikipedia's JS coverage is laughable.

So it is certainly a good idea to try and improve it, as it has been done
with many other topics before.

> For example, the entry on jQuery reads like an infomercial. I once
> flagged it as such, but of course...

Perhaps you chose the wrong way again.

PointedEars
--