From: Greg Russell on
In news:uIdVoUeyKHA.5132(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl,
db <databaseben at hotmail dot com> typed:

> having each update file or each program no matter
> how small they are ... on separate cd's simply
> makes things involving the o.s. more manageable.

Oh sure it does, if you enjoy hauling around several dozen CD's to do your
work, and constantly shuffling those buggers into and out of the drive makes
sense if you're getting paid by the hour, especially when one of them may be
dependant on several of the others.

Again, fuggin' brilliant.

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Yes, but you won't be able to use Windows Update (or Automatic Updates)
unless & until SP3 is installed.

Note: Extended Support for WinXP (x86) SP2 ends on 13 July 2010. After that
date, computers running WinXP (x86) SP2 will NOT be offered any further
critical security updates, Automatic Updates will not work, and Windows
Update website will not be accessible until SP3 is installed.

What does it mean if my version of Windows is no longer supported?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/what-does-end-of-support-mean

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP Gold (no Service Packs) fully patched
(after a clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/msg/3f5afa8ed33e121c

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP1(a) or SP2 fully patched (after a
clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/a066ae41add7dd2b

From: "db" databaseben at hotmail dot on
yes, I can understand your
logic and position.

there are many of us that
have certain luxuries and
then there are those that
do not.

but I never bash anyone
for posting their preferred
methodologies,

because the method you
proposed may actually be
utilized by the o.p.

--

db���`�...�><)))�>
DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

From: HeyBub on
Greg Russell wrote:
> In news:OWRX8sTyKHA.5576(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl,
> Bruce Hagen <BRH(a)nospam.invalid> typed:
>
>> ... if I were you, I would download and SAVE SP2 ...
>> and then put it on CD. ...
>> Might as well get SP3 on another CD just to have around.
>
> Why "another CD"? They both fit on a single CD.

Why do parachutists have TWO parachutes?

From: Daave on
HeyBub wrote:
> Greg Russell wrote:
>> In news:OWRX8sTyKHA.5576(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl,
>> Bruce Hagen <BRH(a)nospam.invalid> typed:
>>
>>> ... if I were you, I would download and SAVE SP2 ...
>>> and then put it on CD. ...
>>> Might as well get SP3 on another CD just to have around.
>>
>> Why "another CD"? They both fit on a single CD.
>
> Why do parachutists have TWO parachutes?

Good point.

Then again, using that analogy, one should put several installers on one
CD (Greg's idea) and make at least one copy of that CD (your idea).