From: mindydee113 via WindowsKB.com on
my daughters laptop had gotten a nasty virus that i was unable to remove.
instead of taking it to somebody else to work on it, i decided i would try to
undertake this task myself. i am not the most knowledgeable when it comes to
computers but i am learning and willing to read and do research.

i have an idea of what i need to do to wipe her computer clean, so we can
start over. i just ordered a new recovery disk for her laptop. the only
problem was that they sent me 2 disks and that is my first question in this
process. one disk says....."Operating system CD - Microsoft windows XP home
edition service pack 2". the second disk says........"Application and Driver
recovery DVD". which disk do i put in first? i know that is probably a
silly question. I'm guessing it is the operating system CD, but I want to be
sure that I don't make a mistake. i want to learn this process in case i
ever need to do it again in the future, should there be another problem.
thanks for any answers and help i can get!

From: Jerry on
Boot the laptop from disk #1 and install the operating system. When that has
completed insert #2 and run setup or install and it will install the drivers
and programs that are on it.

Then you'll have to download and install ALL XP updates, including SP3 and
everyhting released since. It may take a while.

From: Jim on
On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 19:36:03 GMT, "mindydee113 via WindowsKB.com"
<u55080(a)uwe> wrote:

>my daughters laptop had gotten a nasty virus that i was unable to remove.
>instead of taking it to somebody else to work on it, i decided i would try to
>undertake this task myself. i am not the most knowledgeable when it comes to
>computers but i am learning and willing to read and do research.
>
>i have an idea of what i need to do to wipe her computer clean, so we can
>start over. i just ordered a new recovery disk for her laptop. the only
>problem was that they sent me 2 disks and that is my first question in this
>process. one disk says....."Operating system CD - Microsoft windows XP home
>edition service pack 2". the second disk says........"Application and Driver
>recovery DVD". which disk do i put in first? i know that is probably a
>silly question. I'm guessing it is the operating system CD, but I want to be
>sure that I don't make a mistake. i want to learn this process in case i
>ever need to do it again in the future, should there be another problem.
>thanks for any answers and help i can get!

1) operating system cd .
2) driver cd .
From: Michael on

> my daughters laptop had gotten a nasty virus that i was unable to remove.
> instead of taking it to somebody else to work on it, i decided i would try
> undertake this task myself. i am not the most knowledgeable when it comes
> computers but i am learning and willing to read and do research.
>
> i have an idea of what i need to do to wipe her computer clean, so we can
> start over. i just ordered a new recovery disk for her laptop. the only
> problem was that they sent me 2 disks and that is my first question in
> this
> process. one disk says....."Operating system CD - Microsoft windows XP
> home
> edition service pack 2". the second disk says........"Application and
> Driver
> recovery DVD". which disk do i put in first? i know that is probably a
> silly question. I'm guessing it is the operating system CD, but I want to
> be
> sure that I don't make a mistake. i want to learn this process in case i
> ever need to do it again in the future, should there be another problem.
> thanks for any answers and help i can get!

What brand of laptop? Most manufacturers have a hidden partition that you
can access during boot to restore the computer to out-of-the-box condition.
--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.