From: Daniel Walker on
On Wed, 2010-08-04 at 15:37 +0200, Tejun Heo wrote:
> Hello, Linus.
>
> Please consider pulling from
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tj/wq.git for-linus
>
> to receive the concurrencey managed workqueue patches. The branch
> contains 32 patches to prepare for and implement cmwq and 23 patches
> fixing bugs and converting libata, async, fscache and other slow-work
> users to workqueue and remove slow-work.
>
> The following overview section gives a brief overview. For more
> detailed information, please refer to the last posting of cmwq
> patchset.

I haven't seen anything that shows your adding back the same
expressiveness that your removing .. So I still don't think this should
be merged.

Daniel

--
Sent by an consultant of the Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc.

From: Stefan Richter on
Daniel Walker wrote:
> I haven't seen anything that shows your adding back the same
> expressiveness that your removing .. So I still don't think this should
> be merged.

Do you mean by expressiveness the ability to hack around a suboptimally
working driver in userland (by requiring the administrator to play with
kernel thread priorities of dedicated worker threads)? Is it known
whether this driver/ these drivers still require this hack after Tejun's
patch set is applied? If yes, how about finding someone to fix this
driver for good. Meanwhile, let's gets rid of the problem of having
both too few and too many workers in countless present usages of the
workqueue API please.
--
Stefan Richter
From: Daniel Walker on
On Wed, 2010-08-04 at 19:53 +0200, Stefan Richter wrote:
> Daniel Walker wrote:
> > I haven't seen anything that shows your adding back the same
> > expressiveness that your removing .. So I still don't think this should
> > be merged.
>
> Do you mean by expressiveness the ability to hack around a suboptimally
> working driver in userland (by requiring the administrator to play with
> kernel thread priorities of dedicated worker threads)? Is it known
> whether this driver/ these drivers still require this hack after Tejun's
> patch set is applied? If yes, how about finding someone to fix this
> driver for good. Meanwhile, let's gets rid of the problem of having
> both too few and too many workers in countless present usages of the
> workqueue API please.

I mean by expressiveness the fact that a user can prioritize their
system more fully in the current system.

Daniel

--
Sent by an consultant of the Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc.

From: Linus Torvalds on
On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 6:37 AM, Tejun Heo <tj(a)kernel.org> wrote:

> Please consider pulling from
>
> �git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tj/wq.git for-linus

Hmm. So I pulled, because I think it is the right thing in the long
run. But right now I'm bisecting a non-booting machine, and it seems
to be due to the workqueue pull.

It's not fully bisected yet, but the only remaining thing I actually
enable is workqueues. The symptom is a machine that stops at

dracut: Starting plymouth daemon
dracut: Scanning devices sda2 for LVM volume groups
dracut: Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while...
dracut: Found volume group "VolGroup" using metadata type lvm2

and the next thing I'd expect to see is the mounting of the filesystem
and the SElinux notifications. And I never do.

I'll bisect it all the way, but thought I'd let you know.

Linus
From: Markus Trippelsdorf on
On Mon, Aug 09, 2010 at 01:05:31PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 6:37 AM, Tejun Heo <tj(a)kernel.org> wrote:
> >
> > Please consider pulling from
> >
> > �git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tj/wq.git for-linus
>
> Hmm. So I pulled, because I think it is the right thing in the long
> run. But right now I'm bisecting a non-booting machine, and it seems
> to be due to the workqueue pull.
>
> It's not fully bisected yet, but the only remaining thing I actually
> enable is workqueues. The symptom is a machine that stops at

> dracut: Starting plymouth daemon
> dracut: Scanning devices sda2 for LVM volume groups
> dracut: Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while...
> dracut: Found volume group "VolGroup" using metadata type lvm2
>
> and the next thing I'd expect to see is the mounting of the filesystem
> and the SElinux notifications. And I never do.
>
> I'll bisect it all the way, but thought I'd let you know.

No need to, it's already fixed:
http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/8/9/94
--
�A man who doesn't know he is in prison can never escape.�
William S. Burroughs