From: Rob Christiansen on

I write my code (ASP/Javascript) on my winXP computer and then upload it
onto my webgsite and run it. Untill recently I had
just win98 and I couldn't do it any other way. This is real time
consuming, though, and i want to get my own system so i can both write
and run
code off-line. I have no idea where to begin. "Visual Studio?" Can you
point me in the right direction? Please include the price i would have
to pay.

From: Musaul Karim on
On Feb 26, 4:43 pm, Rob Christiansen <robb_christian...(a)q.com> wrote:
> I write my code (ASP/Javascript) on my winXP computer and then upload it
> onto my webgsite and run it. Untill recently I had
> just win98 and I couldn't do it any other way. This is real time
> consuming, though, and i want to get my own system so i can both write
> and run
> code off-line. I have no idea where to begin. "Visual Studio?" Can you
> point me in the right direction? Please include the price i would have
> to pay.
>
> *** Sent via Developersdexhttp://www.developersdex.com***

You need to install Microsoft IIS (Internet Information Services),
which is basically your web server on your local machine. Then you'll
need to set up a site there ...

http://www.webwizguide.com/kb/asp_tutorials/installing_iis_winXP_pro.asp

Once you got that running, you can edit your pages and test them out
locally before uploading to your server. You can edit the ASP files in
textpad or something, but you'll have a much easier time if you use a
proper IDE like Visual Studio ... http://www.microsoft.com/express/Web/

hope that helps.