From: orhan baytok orhan on
client computer names do not appear in wsus console. And
htpp://<server>:8530/selfupdate gives authrization problems.

From: MowGreen [MVP] on
Try here, Orhan :

Discussions in Windows Server Update Services
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.server.update_services

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2007]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

From: uwcableguy on
i too am having the same issue with the error message MMC could not
create the snap-in on win 2k3 sp2 server. i have .net 2.0 and all
updates, i have mmc 3.0, i have report viewer 2005 w sp1. tried
uninstall/reinstall of all 3 plus wsus 3.0. tired caps lock. tried
renaming mmc.exe. tried renaming wsus.msc. this is driving me crazy!

i also added admin acct to wsus admins and wsus reports groups. i
performed reg hack per ms kb918041 to fix the damn iis worker process
errors/w3wp.exe crashes.

i am about to call ms business critical...

could this be a sp2 issue? not sure what else it is...

argh!

From: Lawrence Garvin (MVP) on

<uwcableguy(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>i too am having the same issue with the error message MMC could not
> create the snap-in on win 2k3 sp2 server. i have .net 2.0 and all
> updates, i have mmc 3.0, i have report viewer 2005 w sp1. tried
> uninstall/reinstall of all 3 plus wsus 3.0. tired caps lock. tried
> renaming mmc.exe. tried renaming wsus.msc. this is driving me crazy!
>
> i also added admin acct to wsus admins and wsus reports groups. i
> performed reg hack per ms kb918041 to fix the damn iis worker process
> errors/w3wp.exe crashes.
>
> i am about to call ms business critical...
>
> could this be a sp2 issue?

Yes.. it could.

Given that:
[a] WSUS 2 demonstrated some issues being installed on SQL Server 2000
SP4, for which the common wisdom is "Install to SQL Server 2000 SP3 and then
apply SP4 after installation"
[b] WSUS 3 demonstrated some issues being installed to SQL Server 2005
SP2, for which the common wisdom is "Install to SQL Server 2005 SP1 and then
apply SP2 after installation"

and given that Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 was released *after* WSUS
v3, and the documented (supported) platform for WSUS 3 is "Windows Server
2003 Service Pack 1" or "Windows Server Longhorn" (which, of course, is
still pre-release, so technically it's not yet supported at all), I find it
entirely possible that WSUS 3 will demonstrate some issues being installed
on Windows Server 2003 SP2 systems, for which the common wisdom will likely
become: "Install to Windows Server 2003 SP1 and then apply SP2 after
installation".

--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCTS, MCP
Independent WSUS Evangelist