From: "Michael Stauffer" on
wxMac 2.8.3
XCode 2.4.1
OSX 10.4.7

Hi,

I'm getting some weird behavior. My app is hanging up within a modal dialog
called by wxMessageBox. The call looks like this:

wxMessageBox("First run from an older version.");

Earlier in the app, I call wxMessageBox without problem. If I run with the
debugger and pause, the call stack looks like this:

#0 0x92f127e6 in HIObject::IsRefValid
#1 0x92f129ca in GetWindowData
#2 0x92f12965 in GetWindowSystemProperty
#3 0x92ff3af9 in GetPrivateDialogRefFromWindowRef
#4 0x9305f3a3 in ModalDialog
#5 0x9305f2dc in RunStandardAlert
#6 0x00127343 in wxMessageDialog::ShowModal at msgdlg.cpp:182
#7 0x00104599 in wxMessageBox at utilscmn.cpp:1168
#8 0x0006f328 in LoadPreset at UserSettings.cpp:657
#9 0x00074307 in LoadUserSettingsNew at UserSettings.cpp:568
#10 0x0001db9f in MyFrame::Init at Init.cpp:496
#11 0x0001eacc in MyApp::OnInit at Init.cpp:236
#12 0x0027bf02 in wxAppConsole::CallOnInit at app.h:76
#13 0x0010bc45 in wxEntry at init.cpp:433
#14 0x00019752 in main at Init.cpp:88

Then if I click on wxMessageBox within the stack, I get this pop-up error
window:

Debugger error:

"Failed to load custom data formatter plugin at:

/Library/Application Support/Apple/Developer
Tools/CustomDataViews/CFDataFormatters.bundle/Contents/MacOS/CFDataFormatter

Data values for types supported by this plugin may not display properly.

Error message was:
(null)"

This is an error I saw a couple weeks ago relating to troubles loading some
fonts.

If I continue and pause again, I get different call stacks, like these two
for example:

#0 0x92f12138 in GetCurrentWindowContext
#1 0x92f1ddd3 in ActiveNonFloatingWindow
#2 0x9305ab65 in CurrentDialogWindow
#3 0x9305f38d in ModalDialog
#4 0x9305f2dc in RunStandardAlert
#5 0x00127343 in wxMessageDialog::ShowModal at msgdlg.cpp:182
#6 0x00104599 in wxMessageBox at utilscmn.cpp:1168
#7 0x0006f328 in LoadPreset at UserSettings.cpp:657
#8 0x00074307 in LoadUserSettingsNew at UserSettings.cpp:568
#9 0x0001db9f in MyFrame::Init at Init.cpp:496
#10 0x0001eacc in MyApp::OnInit at Init.cpp:236
#11 0x0027bf02 in wxAppConsole::CallOnInit at app.h:76
#12 0x0010bc45 in wxEntry at init.cpp:433
#13 0x00019752 in main at Init.cpp:88

#0 0x9305f373 in ModalDialog
#1 0x9305f2dc in RunStandardAlert
#2 0x00127343 in wxMessageDialog::ShowModal at msgdlg.cpp:182
#3 0x00104599 in wxMessageBox at utilscmn.cpp:1168
#4 0x0006f328 in LoadPreset at UserSettings.cpp:657
#5 0x00074307 in LoadUserSettingsNew at UserSettings.cpp:568
#6 0x0001db9f in MyFrame::Init at Init.cpp:496
#7 0x0001eacc in MyApp::OnInit at Init.cpp:236
#8 0x0027bf02 in wxAppConsole::CallOnInit at app.h:76
#9 0x0010bc45 in wxEntry at init.cpp:433
#10 0x00019752 in main at Init.cpp:88

Anyone have any ideas? I'm completely stumped.

Cheers,
Michael

For additional commands, e-mail: wx-users-help(a)lists.wxwidgets.org

From: "Stefan Csomor" on
Hi

> Then if I click on wxMessageBox within the stack, I get this pop-up
> error
> window:
>
> Debugger error:
>
> "Failed to load custom data formatter plugin at:
>
> /Library/Application Support/Apple/Developer
> Tools/CustomDataViews/CFDataFormatters.bundle/Contents/MacOS/CFDataFo
> rmatter
>
> Data values for types supported by this plugin may not display
> properly.
>
> Error message was:
> (null)"

as I said in a previous post, don't be distracted by the debugger error,
this just happens and has nothing to do with the real problem

does the same happen if you just add this messagebox call into a sample
like minimal ?

Best,

Stefan

For additional commands, e-mail: wx-users-help(a)lists.wxwidgets.org

From: Bryan Petty on
Michael Stauffer wrote:
> I'm getting some weird behavior. My app is hanging up within a modal dialog
> called by wxMessageBox.

I may have run into this issue just the other day (but didn't really pay
attention as I was working on something else at the time). I'll have
more info on this tomorrow if I did in fact stumble on the same thing.

Regards,
Bryan Petty

For additional commands, e-mail: wx-users-help(a)lists.wxwidgets.org

From: Bryan Petty on
Bryan Petty wrote:
> I may have run into this issue just the other day (but didn't really pay
> attention as I was working on something else at the time). I'll have
> more info on this tomorrow if I did in fact stumble on the same thing.

I must have run into something else, wxMessageBox works fine for me here
on Intel 10.4.9 (maybe you should do a Mac OS X update, you're two
versions behind current) with wxWidgets 2.8.3.

Regards,
Bryan Petty

For additional commands, e-mail: wx-users-help(a)lists.wxwidgets.org

From: "Michael Stauffer" on
Hi Stefan,

> Hi
>
> > Then if I click on wxMessageBox within the stack, I get this pop-up
> > error
> > window:
> >
> > Debugger error:
> >
> > "Failed to load custom data formatter plugin at:
> >
> > /Library/Application Support/Apple/Developer
> >
> Tools/CustomDataViews/CFDataFormatters.bundle/Contents/MacOS/CFDataFo
> > rmatter
> >
> > Data values for types supported by this plugin may not display
> > properly.
> >
> > Error message was:
> > (null)"
>
> as I said in a previous post, don't be distracted by the
> debugger error, this just happens and has nothing to do with
> the real problem

OK

> does the same happen if you just add this messagebox call
> into a sample like minimal ?

Seems the problem happens while a splash screen is shown. I can recreate in
Minimal with this code (either in MyApp::OnInit() or in OnAbout()):

wxBitmap bitmap(sample_xpm);
if (bitmap.IsOk())
{
wxSplashScreen* splash = new wxSplashScreen(bitmap,
wxSPLASH_CENTRE_ON_SCREEN|wxSPLASH_TIMEOUT,
6000, NULL, -1, wxDefaultPosition, wxDefaultSize,
wxSIMPLE_BORDER|wxSTAY_ON_TOP);
}else{
wxMessageBox("xpm didn't work");
}
wxMessageBox("Msg box - gettin' hung up.");