From: Dave Bee on
Another newbie question: is one clearly superior over the other or is it simply a matter of taste?

I am leaning towards using wxSQLite for a small DB based app that I will be developing, but I wonder whether there are any compelling reasons to prefer wxODBC?

Thanks,
Dave

http://mail.yahoo.com
From: Dave Bee on
OK - I see no reply, so I will ask my question differently: Is it safe to conclude that "wxODBC is dead, long live the new king wxSQLite3" ?

Dave

Dave Bee <davebeeus(a)yahoo.com> wrote: Another newbie question: is one clearly superior over the other or is it simply a matter of taste?

---------------------------------
From: Kevin Hock on
Dave,

Comparing wxODBC and wxSQLite3 is comparing apples and oranges.
wxSQLite3 is for embedding a database in your application, just like
SQLite. wxODBC is for connecting to a database like DB2, Access, MySQL,
like ODBC.

So really it's not wxODBC vs wxSQLite3 but ODBC vs. SQLite3 and which is
right for your application, since they are completely different.

Regards,

Kevin

Dave Bee wrote:
> OK - I see no reply, so I will ask my question differently: Is it safe
> to conclude that "wxODBC is dead, long live the new king wxSQLite3" ?
>
> Dave
>
> */Dave Bee <davebeeus(a)yahoo.com>/* wrote:
>
> Another newbie question: is one clearly superior over the other or
> is it simply a matter of taste?
>
> I am leaning towards using wxSQLite for a small DB based app that I
> will be developing, but I wonder whether there are any compelling
> reasons to prefer wxODBC?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

For additional commands, e-mail: wx-users-help(a)lists.wxwidgets.org

From: Dave Bee on
Kevin, thank you very much for your answer. I am embarrassed to admit that I learned something totally new here: I was under the misconception that wxSQLite3 supports communicating (using SQL statements) with databases like MySQL, Oracle, etc. Now I am learning that it is only for "embedded databases".

For a while I thought I could get away with having to deal with ODBC driver installations etc. Now I see that isn't the case. Oh well.

Dave

Kevin Hock <hockkn(a)yahoo.com> wrote: Dave,

From: Ulrich Telle on
Milan Babuskov schrieb:
> Dave Bee wrote:
>
>> Kevin, thank you very much for your answer. I am embarrassed to admit
>> that I learned something totally new here: I was under the
>> misconception that wxSQLite3 supports communicating (using SQL
>> statements) with databases like MySQL, Oracle, etc. Now I am learning
>> that it is only for "embedded databases".
>

> No, it is not "only for embedded databases", it is "only for embedded
> SQLite database".
>
> There are other embedded databases, and wxSQLite3 does not work with
> those either.

As the name of my component, wxSQLite3, suggests, it's a wxWidgets
wrapper for the popular SQLite 3.x database, giving access to almost all
special features of SQLite in a wxWidgets compatible way.

If you need support for other databases, you might be interested in the
component DatabaseLayer which can be found at
http://wxcode.sourceforge.net. DatabaseLayer currently supports SQLite3,
PostgreSQL, MySQL, Firebird, and ODBC as database backends. Work on
Oracle support is in progress, AFAIK.

Regards,

Ulrich

For additional commands, e-mail: wx-users-help(a)lists.wxwidgets.org