From: nextime on
On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 09:44:52AM -0300, Steve Cookson wrote:
> 1) Firstly, do you have control over the server end? Maybe you could
> experiment with using a different codec?

Yes, but i'm something limited on codec/bitrate. My stream is the
icecast broadcasting of an asterisk audio conference, so, i can just
stream in mp3 and ogg, other encodings aren't feasible without crude
hacks.

Also, i need to limit the more i can the bitrate couse i need to have
about 3/4000 users (concurrents) when i need to stream, and my bandwidth
is limited.

With linux no problem at all, with windows i can use oggcodecs and it
work great for win <= XP, but oggcodecs have some problems with some
windows vista and seven, so i need also mp3 stream for those.

> 2) Secondly Windows is generally very tolerant of poor encoding, but VLC is
> better. There is a VLC backend out there somewhere:
>
> http://www.nabble.com/Introduction-%2B-patches-for-wxGrid-%2B-proposal-for-v
> lcbackend-td20090167.html

I love vlc and i use it for many things. Anyway, i can't use it in this
case cause i don't have the control of what my users ( many of which are
not computer skilled people ) have installed, and to use vlc api i need
to have also VLC installed on the client. This is why i want to use
wx.media, cause it wrap the "standard" media player that i can assert to
be present on the client. I distribute my app in both sources and
pre-packaged py2exe/py2app stand-alone application to be sure i have all
dependencies ( a lot ) installed.

In this context, i can think to use wx.media on linux (where it work
great), and maybe to use win32com api on windows ( controlling wmp this
way seem to work good, but i don't like to put platform dependant code),
but this way i don't cover osx/quicktime without using wx.media.

I'm thinking in using an embedded mplayer compiled static for
windows/osx and simply command it with subprocess.Popen, but if wx.media
will work in a reliable way, i prefer to use it.

> Try using VLC standalone and see if it works.

It work. But also wmp and quicktime are working stand-alone...

--

Franco (nextime) Lanza
Busto Arsizio - Italy

NO TCPA: http://www.no1984.org
you can download my public key at:
http://danex.nexlab.it/nextime.asc || Key Servers
Key ID = D6132D50
Key fingerprint = 66ED 5211 9D59 DA53 1DF7 4189 DFED F580 D613 2D50
echo 16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D212153574F444E49572045535520454D20454B414D204F54204847554F4E452059415020544F4E4E4143205345544147204C4C4942snlbxq | dc