From: H. Peter Anvin on
On 02/25/2010 11:47 PM, Borislav Petkov wrote:
> From: "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa(a)zytor.com>
> Date: Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 09:27:25PM -0800
>
>> OK, this patch looks pretty good now, but I'm completely lost as to
>> what the baseline of this patch is supposed to be.
>
> Yeah, this is based on PeterZ's http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/2/4/119
>
> But I'm not sure which tree has it...

Looks like -mm, which really means that either Andrew has to take your
patch, too, or we have to wait until that is upstream until we can merge
your patch.

I'm a little nervous about just acking the patch and telling Andrew to
test it, because I don't know what the fallout would look like. I'm
particularly concerned about gcc version dependencies.

I guess, on the other hand, if it ends up not getting merged until .35
it's not a huge deal either.

-hpa

From: Borislav Petkov on
From: "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa(a)zytor.com>
Date: Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 09:48:46AM -0800

> Looks like -mm, which really means that either Andrew has to take your
> patch, too, or we have to wait until that is upstream until we can merge
> your patch.
>
> I'm a little nervous about just acking the patch and telling Andrew to
> test it, because I don't know what the fallout would look like. I'm
> particularly concerned about gcc version dependencies.

I have the same concern. Actually, I'll be much more at ease if it saw a
bit of wider testing without hitting mainline just yet. I'll try to give
it some more testing with the machines and toolchains I can get my hands
on next week.

> I guess, on the other hand, if it ends up not getting merged until .35
> it's not a huge deal either.

Yeah, let's give it another round of testing and queue it for .35 -
AFAIR Ingo runs also a wide testing effort so it spending another cycle
in -tip and being hammered on by us could give us a bit more certainty.

Thanks.

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.

-
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Operating Systems Research Center
From: H. Peter Anvin on
On 02/27/2010 12:28 AM, Borislav Petkov wrote:

>> I guess, on the other hand, if it ends up not getting merged until .35
>> it's not a huge deal either.
>
> Yeah, let's give it another round of testing and queue it for .35 -
> AFAIR Ingo runs also a wide testing effort so it spending another cycle
> in -tip and being hammered on by us could give us a bit more certainty.

Yes, if we can get into -tip then we'll get more test coverage, so I'll
queue it up for .35 as soon as the merge window closes. Please remind
me if I forget.

-hpa

From: Borislav Petkov on
> On 02/27/2010 12:28 AM, Borislav Petkov wrote:
> > Yeah, let's give it another round of testing and queue it for .35 -
> > AFAIR Ingo runs also a wide testing effort so it spending another cycle
> > in -tip and being hammered on by us could give us a bit more certainty.
> >

> Yes, if we can get into -tip then we'll get more test coverage, so I'll
> queue it up for .35 as soon as the merge window closes. Please remind
> me if I forget.

Hi Peter,

I see that you've added the HWEIGHT-capitalized interfaces for
compile-time constants with fce877e3. Which means, the bits in
<include/asm-generic/bitops/const_hweight.h> from your original patch at
http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/2/4/119 need changing (or have changed already
but I've missed them).

IOW, where can I get the current version of that last patch so that I can
base my __arch_hweightXX stuff ontop of it for testing?

Thanks.

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.

-
From: Peter Zijlstra on
On Tue, 2010-03-09 at 16:36 +0100, Borislav Petkov wrote:
> > On 02/27/2010 12:28 AM, Borislav Petkov wrote:
> > > Yeah, let's give it another round of testing and queue it for .35 -
> > > AFAIR Ingo runs also a wide testing effort so it spending another cycle
> > > in -tip and being hammered on by us could give us a bit more certainty.
> > >

> > Yes, if we can get into -tip then we'll get more test coverage, so I'll
> > queue it up for .35 as soon as the merge window closes. Please remind
> > me if I forget.
>
> Hi Peter,
>
> I see that you've added the HWEIGHT-capitalized interfaces for
> compile-time constants with fce877e3. Which means, the bits in
> <include/asm-generic/bitops/const_hweight.h> from your original patch at
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/2/4/119 need changing (or have changed already
> but I've missed them).
>
> IOW, where can I get the current version of that last patch so that I can
> base my __arch_hweightXX stuff ontop of it for testing?

Should all be fine as it is, that patch
( http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/2/4/119 ) is against a kernel with fce877e3
in, I've just checked and it still applies to tip/master as of this
writing (although it grew a single 2 line offset for 1 hunk).