From: Cliff Wickman on

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 03:23:21PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 02:43:35PM -0500, Cliff Wickman wrote:

> > > Hm, what type of files are you needing here? Do they corrispond with
> > > any specific hardware devices? If so, just put them on the hardware
> > > devices in sysfs.
> > >
> > > thanks,
> > >
> > > greg k-h
> >
> > There is an SGI-specific directory in sysfs: /sys/firmware/sgi_uv
> > though the tuning variables for the handling of the hardware Broadcast
> > Assist Unit don't fit there very logically.
> >
> > The BAU's statistics are already displayed through the UV-only
> > /proc/sgi_uv/ptc_statistics. This was deemed necessary because of the
> > potentially very large size of that file --- it is still true that a /sys file
> > is limited to one page, is it not?
>
> It is limited to one single value, which would never be larger than a
> page, so yes, it is limited to one page.
>
> What kind of information are you showing here? Should this thing just
> be in debugfs instead? You can do whatever you want there.
>
> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

/proc/sgi_uv/bau_tunables would be a read/write file to display and change
nine threshold and delay values for tuning the BAU driver.

I like debugfs, except that a distro may not build the kernel with it
configured on. The tunables should be available as administrative
options on a customer kernel, not just as a development tool.

And in our case the distros are already building with other such writable
options in /proc/sgi_uv. We'd like to postpone a wholesale move of such
options (assuming there will be some better place) and stay with the existing
location for this release.

I know we (the community) would like to move non-process info out of /proc.
It seems to me that we need a similar filesystem for large and/or
administrative files. That's my perspective.

-Cliff
--
Cliff Wickman
SGI
From: Greg KH on
On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 06:36:23PM -0500, Cliff Wickman wrote:
> /proc/sgi_uv/bau_tunables would be a read/write file to display and change
> nine threshold and delay values for tuning the BAU driver.
>
> I like debugfs, except that a distro may not build the kernel with it
> configured on. The tunables should be available as administrative
> options on a customer kernel, not just as a development tool.

All distros have debugfs turned on now, and mounted, due to the perf
interface there, as well as a lot of other good debug information that
is present.

So you don't have to worry about that.

> And in our case the distros are already building with other such writable
> options in /proc/sgi_uv. We'd like to postpone a wholesale move of such
> options (assuming there will be some better place) and stay with the existing
> location for this release.

So because some distro took a non-upstream patch, you want upstream to
accept the patch despite it being the incorrect place to put such a
file? Heh, you might want to rethink that...

> I know we (the community) would like to move non-process info out of /proc.

Yes. We also don't want new files added there that are not dealing with
processes.

> It seems to me that we need a similar filesystem for large and/or
> administrative files. That's my perspective.

I do not know of any other such "large administrative" file that needs
to be added to the system at such a time, becides this one, do you?

So please, just put it in debugfs.

thanks,

greg k-h
From: JD on

On 05/28/2010 04:36 PM, Cliff Wickman wrote:
> On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 03:23:21PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:

>>> There is an SGI-specific directory in sysfs: /sys/firmware/sgi_uv
>>> though the tuning variables for the handling of the hardware Broadcast
>>> Assist Unit don't fit there very logically.
>>>
>>> The BAU's statistics are already displayed through the UV-only
>>> /proc/sgi_uv/ptc_statistics. This was deemed necessary because of the
>>> potentially very large size of that file --- it is still true that a /sys file
>>> is limited to one page, is it not?
>>>
>> It is limited to one single value, which would never be larger than a
>> page, so yes, it is limited to one page.
>>
>> What kind of information are you showing here? Should this thing just
>> be in debugfs instead? You can do whatever you want there.
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> greg k-h
>>
> /proc/sgi_uv/bau_tunables would be a read/write file to display and change
> nine threshold and delay values for tuning the BAU driver.
>
> I like debugfs, except that a distro may not build the kernel with it
> configured on. The tunables should be available as administrative
> options on a customer kernel, not just as a development tool.
>
> And in our case the distros are already building with other such writable
> options in /proc/sgi_uv. We'd like to postpone a wholesale move of such
> options (assuming there will be some better place) and stay with the existing
> location for this release.
>
> I know we (the community) would like to move non-process info out of /proc.
> It seems to me that we need a similar filesystem for large and/or
> administrative files. That's my perspective.
>
> -Cliff

Would the similar filesystem you propose be backed by permanent storage,
unlike /proc?

From: Cliff Wickman on

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 05:05:26PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 06:36:23PM -0500, Cliff Wickman wrote:
> > /proc/sgi_uv/bau_tunables would be a read/write file to display and change
> > nine threshold and delay values for tuning the BAU driver.
> >
> > I like debugfs, except that a distro may not build the kernel with it
> > configured on. The tunables should be available as administrative
> > options on a customer kernel, not just as a development tool.
>
> All distros have debugfs turned on now, and mounted, due to the perf
> interface there, as well as a lot of other good debug information that
> is present.
>
> So you don't have to worry about that.

Good to hear. That makes the choice simple.

> So please, just put it in debugfs.
>
> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

Okay. I moved the file to debugfs, and will re-submit the patch
momentarily.

-Cliff
--
Cliff Wickman
SGI
From: Cliff Wickman on

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 05:10:20PM -0700, JD wrote:

> On 05/28/2010 04:36 PM, Cliff Wickman wrote:

>>> It is limited to one single value, which would never be larger than a
>>> page, so yes, it is limited to one page.
>>>
>>> What kind of information are you showing here? Should this thing just
>>> be in debugfs instead? You can do whatever you want there.
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>>
>>> greg k-h
>>>
>> /proc/sgi_uv/bau_tunables would be a read/write file to display and change
>> nine threshold and delay values for tuning the BAU driver.
>>
>> I like debugfs, except that a distro may not build the kernel with it
>> configured on. The tunables should be available as administrative
>> options on a customer kernel, not just as a development tool.
>>
>> And in our case the distros are already building with other such writable
>> options in /proc/sgi_uv. We'd like to postpone a wholesale move of such
>> options (assuming there will be some better place) and stay with the existing
>> location for this release.
>>
>> I know we (the community) would like to move non-process info out of /proc.
>> It seems to me that we need a similar filesystem for large and/or
>> administrative files. That's my perspective.
>>
>> -Cliff
>>
> Would the similar filesystem you propose be backed by permanent storage,
> unlike /proc?

I withdraw my proposal for any new filesystem type, as debugfs works fine
for what I'm talking about, as long as it is configured on by all the
distributions.
No, a permanent storage backed filesystem was not what I had in mind.

--
Cliff Wickman
SGI