From: Mike Travis on

> in setup.c::setup_arch()
>
> setup_memory_map();
> parse_setup_data();
> /* update the e820_saved too */
> e820_reserve_setup_data();
> parse_early_param();
> finish_e820_parsing();
>

> efi memmap is appended to e820 by parse_setup_data
> e820_reserve_setup_data() will copy e820 to e820_saved.
>

> or do you have old boot loader
>
> if (boot_params.hdr.version < 0x0209)
> return;
>
> YH

I saw that too, and wondered why e820_saved did not
have the extra entries. The comment indicates it
should.

I'm on the system tonight and will investigate this
further.

Thanks!
Mike
From: H. Peter Anvin on
On 05/13/2010 02:55 PM, Mike Travis wrote:

> I saw that too, and wondered why e820_saved did not
> have the extra entries. The comment indicates it
> should.
>
> I'm on the system tonight and will investigate this
> further.

e820_saved lacks the extra entries because they aren't being passed in
from the bootloader, as they should, and instead you're using
add_efi_memmap which is, as far as the kernel is concerned, a post-boot
modification.

That being said, add_efi_memmap does come from the firmware, and as such
it would be legitimate for it to add them to e820_saved.

-hpa
From: H. Peter Anvin on
On 05/25/2010 03:46 PM, Mike Travis wrote:

> I wondered about that. Sanitize seems to remove adjacent
> entries, etc. making the map smaller, but I couldn't detect
> any real differences (though admittedly I didn't do a byte
> by byte comparison.)
>
> But I'll submit another with that call removed.

Sanitize in particular tries to make sense of an otherwise-messed-up
map. This means that if we find a system where it does something
broken, we don't have a way to get the raw data to check what it did!

-hpa