From: Borislav Petkov on
From: Toralf F�rster <toralf.foerster(a)gmx.de>
Date: Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 11:49:24AM +0200

> Borislav Petkov wrote at 16:10:58
> > Did you do 'make mrproper' before rebuilding UML with it?
>
> Today I started with a clean git tree (cloned Linus tree) and got this :

Right, I kinda missed that line, now it makes sense.

Linus' tree doesn't contain the fix yet - rather it is in -tip:
http://git.kernel.org/tip/055c47272b8f5679d08ccc57efea3cb4aaeb5fc6

You can easily cherry-pick it from there and retest.

Thanks.

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.

Operating Systems Research Center
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
From: Toralf Förster on

Borislav Petkov wrote at 15:00:39

> Linus' tree doesn't contain the fix yet - rather it is in -tip:
> http://git.kernel.org/tip/055c47272b8f5679d08ccc57efea3cb4aaeb5fc6
>
> You can easily cherry-pick it from there and retest.
Issue solved works with that patch.

FWIW : This command sequence produced a linux executable which crashed too:

$> ~/devel/linux-2.6 $ patch -p1 < ../linux-2.6-
tip.git-055c47272b8f5679d08ccc57efea3cb4aaeb5fc6.patch patching file
arch/um/include/asm/arch_hweight.h

$> ~/devel/linux-2.6 $ make ARCH=um CC="ccache gcc"
make[1]: `arch/um/sys-i386/user-offsets.s' is up to date.
CHK include/linux/version.h
CHK include/generated/utsrelease.h
CALL scripts/checksyscalls.sh
CHK include/generated/compile.h
LINK linux
$> start_uml.sh

But after I compiled it w/o ccache

$> ~/devel/linux-2.6 $ make ARCH=um

linux executable works (!?!)

Anyway thx for the fix
:-)

--
MfG/Kind regards
Toralf F�rster

pgp finger print: 7B1A 07F4 EC82 0F90 D4C2 8936 872A E508 7DB6 9DA3

From: Geert Uytterhoeven on
2010/6/14 Toralf Förster <toralf.foerster(a)gmx.de>:
> Borislav Petkov wrote at 15:00:39
>
>> Linus' tree doesn't contain the fix yet - rather it is in -tip:
>> http://git.kernel.org/tip/055c47272b8f5679d08ccc57efea3cb4aaeb5fc6
>>
>> You can easily cherry-pick it from there and retest.
> Issue solved works with that patch.
>
> FWIW : This command sequence produced a linux executable which crashed too:
>
> $> ~/devel/linux-2.6 $ patch -p1 < ../linux-2.6-
> tip.git-055c47272b8f5679d08ccc57efea3cb4aaeb5fc6.patch patching file
> arch/um/include/asm/arch_hweight.h
>
> $> ~/devel/linux-2.6 $ make ARCH=um CC="ccache gcc"
> make[1]: `arch/um/sys-i386/user-offsets.s' is up to date.
>  CHK     include/linux/version.h
>  CHK     include/generated/utsrelease.h
>  CALL    scripts/checksyscalls.sh
>  CHK     include/generated/compile.h
>  LINK linux
> $> start_uml.sh
>
> But after I compiled it w/o ccache
>
> $> ~/devel/linux-2.6 $ make ARCH=um
>
> linux executable works (!?!)

I assume you did a `make clean' in between?
So could this just be the problem that new include files early in the
include path are
not detected by the dependency system, as they aren't in any *.d file?

BTW, I'm also using ccache. Always. Ever. All my (cross)compilers are symlinks
to ccache ;-)

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- geert(a)linux-m68k.org

-- Linus Torvalds
From: Toralf Förster on

Geert Uytterhoeven wrote at 16:39:00
> I assume you did a `make clean' in between?
> BTW, I'm also using ccache. Always. Ever. All my (cross)compilers are
Well, I'm unsure - might be I made that mistake, especially b/c I use ccache
too since years and didn't experienced any fault so far.

--
MfG/Kind regards
Toralf Förster

pgp finger print: 7B1A 07F4 EC82 0F90 D4C2 8936 872A E508 7DB6 9DA3

From: H. Peter Anvin on
On 06/14/2010 08:11 AM, Toralf Förster wrote:

> Geert Uytterhoeven wrote at 16:39:00
>> I assume you did a `make clean' in between?
>> BTW, I'm also using ccache. Always. Ever. All my (cross)compilers are
> Well, I'm unsure - might be I made that mistake, especially b/c I use ccache
> too since years and didn't experienced any fault so far.

I have certainly seen a number of cases where ccache doesn't pick up
sublte differences, for reasons unknown.

-hpa