From: Andrew Morton on
On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 13:31:50 +0200 Adam Lackorzynski <adam(a)os.inf.tu-dresden.de> wrote:

> Do not register the sysdev function when the null_legacy_pic is used so
> that the i8259 resume, suspend and shutdown functions are not called.

What are the effects of this change? Does it fix an oops or a hang, or
nothing at all, or...?

From: Adam Lackorzynski on

On Wed Jun 02, 2010 at 18:18:14 -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 13:31:50 +0200 Adam Lackorzynski <adam(a)os.inf.tu-dresden.de> wrote:
>
> > Do not register the sysdev function when the null_legacy_pic is used so
> > that the i8259 resume, suspend and shutdown functions are not called.
>
> What are the effects of this change? Does it fix an oops or a hang, or
> nothing at all, or...?

My platform makes use of the null_legacy_pic choice and oopses when
doing a shutdown as the shutdown code goes through all the registered
sysdevs and calls their shutdown method which in my case poke on a
non-existing i8259. Imho the i8259 specific sysdev should only be
registered if the i8259 is actually there.

Adam
From: Andrew Morton on
On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 11:01:41 +0200 Adam Lackorzynski <adam(a)os.inf.tu-dresden.de> wrote:

> On Wed Jun 02, 2010 at 18:18:14 -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 13:31:50 +0200 Adam Lackorzynski <adam(a)os.inf.tu-dresden.de> wrote:
> >
> > > Do not register the sysdev function when the null_legacy_pic is used so
> > > that the i8259 resume, suspend and shutdown functions are not called.
> >
> > What are the effects of this change? Does it fix an oops or a hang, or
> > nothing at all, or...?
>
> My platform makes use of the null_legacy_pic choice and oopses when
> doing a shutdown as the shutdown code goes through all the registered
> sysdevs and calls their shutdown method which in my case poke on a
> non-existing i8259. Imho the i8259 specific sysdev should only be
> registered if the i8259 is actually there.

OK, thanks. Important info, that. I'd say that makes it something we
should fix in 2.6.34.x and perhaps earlier.