From: Ingo Molnar on

* David Rientjes <rientjes(a)google.com> wrote:

> Some larger systems require more than 512 nodes, so increase the maximum
> CONFIG_NODES_SHIFT to 10 for a new max of 1024 nodes.
>
> This was tested with numa=fake=64M on systems with more than 64GB of RAM. A
> total of 1022 nodes were initialized.
>
> Successfully builds with no additional warnings on x86_64 allyesconfig.

Not so here:

drivers/base/node.c:169: error: negative width in bit-field ?<anonymous>?

> Greg KH has queued up numa-fix-BUILD_BUG_ON-for-node_read_distance.patch
> for 2.6.35 to fix the build error when CONFIG_NODES_SHIFT is set to 10.
> See http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/3/10/390

erm. Alas I cannot merge it in the x86 tree without that fix being upstream.
Why for v2.6.35 - shouldnt that be v2.6.34?

Ingo
From: Greg KH on
On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 02:23:54PM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * David Rientjes <rientjes(a)google.com> wrote:
>
> > Some larger systems require more than 512 nodes, so increase the maximum
> > CONFIG_NODES_SHIFT to 10 for a new max of 1024 nodes.
> >
> > This was tested with numa=fake=64M on systems with more than 64GB of RAM. A
> > total of 1022 nodes were initialized.
> >
> > Successfully builds with no additional warnings on x86_64 allyesconfig.
>
> Not so here:
>
> drivers/base/node.c:169: error: negative width in bit-field ?<anonymous>?
>
> > Greg KH has queued up numa-fix-BUILD_BUG_ON-for-node_read_distance.patch
> > for 2.6.35 to fix the build error when CONFIG_NODES_SHIFT is set to 10.
> > See http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/3/10/390

Well, it will be a few days before I queue it up...

> erm. Alas I cannot merge it in the x86 tree without that fix being upstream.
> Why for v2.6.35 - shouldnt that be v2.6.34?

If it needs to go in before .35, or it should go through Ingo's trees, I
have no objection.

thanks,

greg k-h
From: Ingo Molnar on

* Greg KH <gregkh(a)suse.de> wrote:

> > erm. Alas I cannot merge it in the x86 tree without that fix being
> > upstream. Why for v2.6.35 - shouldnt that be v2.6.34?
>
> If it needs to go in before .35, or it should go through Ingo's trees, I
> have no objection.

It does not 'need' to be in .34 but if the fix is trivial enough then you
could give it a try?

Ingo
From: Greg KH on
On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 03:15:33PM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * Greg KH <gregkh(a)suse.de> wrote:
>
> > > erm. Alas I cannot merge it in the x86 tree without that fix being
> > > upstream. Why for v2.6.35 - shouldnt that be v2.6.34?
> >
> > If it needs to go in before .35, or it should go through Ingo's trees, I
> > have no objection.
>
> It does not 'need' to be in .34 but if the fix is trivial enough then you
> could give it a try?

The fix is trivial, I'll queue it up.

thanks,

greg k-h