From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge on
On 08/06/2010 01:17 PM, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> On 08/06/2010 07:53 AM, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
>> On 08/06/2010 05:43 AM, Jan Beulich wrote:
>>> You certainly mean "the compiler currently treats this as being:" - I
>>> don't think there's a guarantee it'll always be doing so.

>>> I therefore think it needs to be written this way.
>>
>> Agreed.
>>

> A call/return to an actual out-of-line function is a barrier (and will
> always be a barrier, as it is the fundamental ABI sequence points),
> but to an inline function it is not.

Yes. So the goto explicitly puts the barrier into the control flow which
should stop the compiler from doing anything unexpected.

From: H. Peter Anvin on
On 08/06/2010 01:33 PM, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
> On 08/06/2010 01:17 PM, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

>>> Agreed.
>>>

>> A call/return to an actual out-of-line function is a barrier (and will
>> always be a barrier, as it is the fundamental ABI sequence points),
>> but to an inline function it is not.
>
> Yes. So the goto explicitly puts the barrier into the control flow which
> should stop the compiler from doing anything unexpected.

In this particular case, though, I would somewhat expect the more
conventional:

while (inc.tickets.head != inc.tickets.tail) {
cpu_relax();
inc.tickets.head = ACCESS_ONCE(lock->tickets_head);
}

-hpa
From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge on
On 08/06/2010 02:09 PM, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> On 08/06/2010 01:33 PM, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:

>>> A call/return to an actual out-of-line function is a barrier (and will
>>> always be a barrier, as it is the fundamental ABI sequence points),
>>> but to an inline function it is not.
>>
>> Yes. So the goto explicitly puts the barrier into the control flow which
>> should stop the compiler from doing anything unexpected.
>>

> In this particular case, though, I would somewhat expect the more
> conventional:
>
> while (inc.tickets.head != inc.tickets.tail) {
> cpu_relax();
> inc.tickets.head = ACCESS_ONCE(lock->tickets_head);
> }

Yes, that makes sense for the plain spinlock version. But the full
code, including the pv-ticketlock spin timeout, ends up being:

static __always_inline void arch_spin_lock(struct arch_spinlock *lock)
{
register struct __raw_tickets inc;

inc = __ticket_spin_claim(lock);

for (;;) {
unsigned count = SPIN_THRESHOLD;

do {
if (inc.head == inc.tail)
goto out;
cpu_relax();
inc.head = ACCESS_ONCE(lock->tickets.head);
} while (--count);
__ticket_lock_spinning(lock, inc.tail);
}
out: barrier(); /* make sure nothing creeps before the lock is taken */
}

So the goto form is closer to the final form. If it weren't for this,
I'd also prefer the while() form.

(If you config PARAVIRT_SPINLOCKS=n, then __ticket_lock_spinning()
becomes an empty inline, which causes gcc to collapse the whole thing
into a simple infinite loop (ie, it eliminates "count" and the inner loop).)