From: marrzehr on
Sorry, I got one number wrong on that error code. The actual code is
0x8024D007.
--
-mz

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Error message when you try to use the Windows Update or Microsoft Update Web
sites to install updates: "0x8024D007"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956701

When was this computer purchased and how long have you been using it?

Was it a brand-new computer when you (or your family) purchased it or was it
a used computer?

Has anyone ever reinstalled Windows on this computer?

in the background when you installed SP1, SP2, and/or SP3?

it)?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

From: marrzehr on
The computer was purchased brand new from Dell in December 2004. I have benn
using it for the last 2-3 years. I don't think that Windows was ever
reinstalled. We currently have AVG Anti-virus installed and yes, the
subscription is current. However, when I downloaded the service packs, we had
Norton Internet Security. I think that there was a trial version of McAfee
installed on here at one time.

I also noticed on the Dell invoice that the OS included Service Pack 2 when
it was purchased. But when I started using it there was no service packs on
at all.
--
-mz

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
1a. Download the Norton Removal Tool, saving it to your desktop:
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

1b. Download the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool, saving it to your
desktop:
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

2. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar).

3. Double-click on the file you saved in #1a above to run the utility. Don't
TOUCH your keyboard until the run completes, then reboot.

4. Repeat Step #2 then double-click on the file you saved in #1b above to
run the utility. Don't TOUCH your keyboard until the run completes, then
reboot.

5. Uninstall AVG & reboot, then do a fresh install of AVG: This time select
the CUSTOM install option and do NOT install (i.e., uncheck) Linkscanner,
Search-Shield, Active Surf-Shield, Security toolbar, or any of the email
scanning components.

6. Manually & repeatedly update AVG until you get a "no more updates"
prompt.

7. Test.