From: Tom on
Hi,
I have a system with SUSE 11.1, a Samsung SyncMaster 757NF, and an
NVidia GeForce 6100 nForce 400 and try to set up the monitor in such a
way that at resolution 1280x1024 the whole area of the monitor is
actually used rather than leaving a black margin of ~5-7 mm at the
sides and ~4-5 mm at the top unused. I go (as root) through the usual
procedure with SaX2 and set the size and position of the screen the
way I want, test it seemingly successfully, save etc., and I see that
the /etc/X11/xorg.conf is written - but nonetheless, the screen
returns to the previous size after the restart of X, i.e., the values
I set and saved are somehow "forgotten".
It seems that various people have graphics problems with 11.1, but in
the discussions I found online so far, I didn't find a solution to my
specific problem. Does anybody know what the reason for this effect is
and how to resolve the issue? Unfortunately, I can't adjust the screen
via the buttons on the monitor itself; if I try that, I am told that
those buttons are "locked".
Any idea how to resolve this?
Thanks,
Tom
From: 1jam on
Tom wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a system with SUSE 11.1, a Samsung SyncMaster 757NF, and an
> NVidia GeForce 6100 nForce 400 and try to set up the monitor in such a
> way that at resolution 1280x1024 the whole area of the monitor is
> actually used rather than leaving a black margin of ~5-7 mm at the
> sides and ~4-5 mm at the top unused. I go (as root) through the usual
> procedure with SaX2 and set the size and position of the screen the
> way I want, test it seemingly successfully, save etc., and I see that
> the /etc/X11/xorg.conf is written - but nonetheless, the screen
> returns to the previous size after the restart of X, i.e., the values
> I set and saved are somehow "forgotten".
> It seems that various people have graphics problems with 11.1, but in
> the discussions I found online so far, I didn't find a solution to my
> specific problem. Does anybody know what the reason for this effect is
> and how to resolve the issue? Unfortunately, I can't adjust the screen
> via the buttons on the monitor itself; if I try that, I am told that
> those buttons are "locked".
> Any idea how to resolve this?
> Thanks,
> Tom

hmm not sure why it isn't saving for you. But one way to brute a fix would
be to put a script in

/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/

that makes the needed changes. It will execute every xsession.
HTH
From: Will Honea on
Tom wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a system with SUSE 11.1, a Samsung SyncMaster 757NF, and an
> NVidia GeForce 6100 nForce 400 and try to set up the monitor in such a
> way that at resolution 1280x1024 the whole area of the monitor is
> actually used rather than leaving a black margin of ~5-7 mm at the
> sides and ~4-5 mm at the top unused. I go (as root) through the usual
> procedure with SaX2 and set the size and position of the screen the
> way I want, test it seemingly successfully, save etc., and I see that
> the /etc/X11/xorg.conf is written - but nonetheless, the screen
> returns to the previous size after the restart of X, i.e., the values
> I set and saved are somehow "forgotten".
> It seems that various people have graphics problems with 11.1, but in
> the discussions I found online so far, I didn't find a solution to my
> specific problem. Does anybody know what the reason for this effect is
> and how to resolve the issue? Unfortunately, I can't adjust the screen
> via the buttons on the monitor itself; if I try that, I am told that
> those buttons are "locked".
> Any idea how to resolve this?

My 6100 gives me grief on 11.1,.2, and .3 ;-).

The common element I've found is that Sax2 doesn't (or is unable to) write
xorg.conf properly. Look at xorg.conf. Goto the Modes section. It should
look something like this:

CODE
Section "Modes"
Identifier "Modes[0]"
Modeline "1440x900" 126.98 1440 1536 1688 1936 900 901 904 937
EndSection
/CODE

The problem will likely be that the "Modeline" entry is missing. I simply
copied the line from another installation and you number will be
different - go to the docs and see what all the values are for you display
mode since these are for 1440x900 and I'm too lazy to go through the hassle
of generating them when I have a copy somewhere. You likely have a copy as
well if you had an older version working.

A request for you now. I'm on a Lenovo J-3000 series box and have problems
with 11.1+ and the GeForce 6100. When I run 11.2, the boot log complains
about a conflict in the ACPI and SMB bus so it can't properly read the 6100
info. That renders the newer HAL method unusable so I have to resort to
using xorg.conf. If you get around to trying 11.2 or .3, please post or
email me if you have a similar issue, please.

--
Will Honea

From: Michael Soibelman on
On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 16:07:34 -0700, Tom wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a system with SUSE 11.1, a Samsung SyncMaster 757NF, and an
> NVidia GeForce 6100 nForce 400 and try to set up the monitor in such a
> way that at resolution 1280x1024 the whole area of the monitor is
> actually used rather than leaving a black margin of ~5-7 mm at the sides
> and ~4-5 mm at the top unused. I go (as root) through the usual
> procedure with SaX2 and set the size and position of the screen the way
> I want, test it seemingly successfully, save etc., and I see that the
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf is written - but nonetheless, the screen returns to
> the previous size after the restart of X, i.e., the values I set and
> saved are somehow "forgotten". It seems that various people have
> graphics problems with 11.1, but in the discussions I found online so
> far, I didn't find a solution to my specific problem. Does anybody know
> what the reason for this effect is and how to resolve the issue?
> Unfortunately, I can't adjust the screen via the buttons on the monitor
> itself; if I try that, I am told that those buttons are "locked".
> Any idea how to resolve this?
> Thanks,
> Tom

Are you running sax2 in runlevel 3 or 5 ? If you're in runlevel 5 the
settings wont 'stick'. You must be in runlevel 3...

Just a long shot but maybe this is it.
From: Darklight on
Tom wrote:

> Samsung SyncMaster 757NF