From: Paul Thompson on
When I connect to a dial up ISP the system is not able to reolve
addresses, e.g. www.yahoo.com. Connecting by satellite works OK. My 10.3
system has a file 'resolv.modem' but that doesn't seem to help 11.2. How
can I get dial up working with 11.2?

Thanks
Paul
From: Moe Trin on
On Fri, 04 Dec 2009, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.suse, in article
<3YaSm.23501$gd1.1500(a)newsfe05.iad>, Paul Thompson wrote:

>When I connect to a dial up ISP the system is not able to reolve
>addresses, e.g. www.yahoo.com. Connecting by satellite works OK.

What ``tool'' are you using to run the dialup connection?

>My 10.3 system has a file 'resolv.modem' but that doesn't seem to
>help 11.2. How can I get dial up working with 11.2?

DNS usage is a function of the file /etc/resolv.conf. The ppp daemon
does not replace that file, although you can have it ask the peer for
the right addresses to use. The usual windoze helper program used to
run pppd has an option to update the /etc/resolv.conf. It sounds as
if that option was not selected.

Old guy
From: Paul Thompson on
On 12/04/2009 02:05 PM, Moe Trin wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Dec 2009, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.suse, in article
> <3YaSm.23501$gd1.1500(a)newsfe05.iad>, Paul Thompson wrote:
>
>> When I connect to a dial up ISP the system is not able to reolve
>> addresses, e.g. www.yahoo.com. Connecting by satellite works OK.
>
> What ``tool'' are you using to run the dialup connection?
>
>> My 10.3 system has a file 'resolv.modem' but that doesn't seem to
>> help 11.2. How can I get dial up working with 11.2?
>
> DNS usage is a function of the file /etc/resolv.conf. The ppp daemon
> does not replace that file, although you can have it ask the peer for
> the right addresses to use. The usual windoze helper program used to
> run pppd has an option to update the /etc/resolv.conf. It sounds as
> if that option was not selected.
>
> Old guy

I set up the modem using YaST-Modem. I've found that if I specify the
DNS servers it works.

Thanks
Older guy (71)
From: Moe Trin on
On Sat, 05 Dec 2009, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.suse, in article
<%8tSm.74684$W77.34205(a)newsfe11.iad>, Paul Thompson wrote:

>Moe Trin wrote:

>> The usual windoze helper program used to run pppd has an option to
>> update the /etc/resolv.conf. It sounds as if that option was not
>> selected.

>I set up the modem using YaST-Modem.

There should be an option hidden there. I've been using a simple
script for the last dozen years or so, so I can't tell you where.

>I've found that if I specify the DNS servers it works.

If your tool is set to get the DNS data from the peer, the actual pppd
program receives a 'usepeerdns' option, and this causes it to create a
file named /etc/ppp/resolv.conf file containing one or two nameserver
lines with the address(es) supplied by the peer (as well as setting
one or two environmental variables). The authors of pppd are quite
security conscious, and won't _replace_ the existing /etc/resolv.conf
file, but this can be done using the /etc/ppp/ip-up and ip-down
scripts. I've used a similar method (selecting a specific resolv.conf
file and copying that - to cater for the four ISPs I use) for years.

>Older guy (71)

Not by much (going on 70).

Old guy
From: Neil Ellwood on
On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 19:15:46 -0600, Moe Trin wrote:

> On Sat, 05 Dec 2009, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.suse, in
> article <%8tSm.74684$W77.34205(a)newsfe11.iad>, Paul Thompson wrote:
>

>>Older guy (71)
>
> Not by much (going on 70).
>
> Old guy

You youngsters do go on. (72 but not feeling it).

--
Neil
Reverse 'r and a' Delete 'l'

Pages: 1