From: mjt on
Anyone notice a difference in the time it takes to get
from "grub to desktop" for 11.3, as compared to 11.2?

I'm going to check the logs and do some browsing around
the system to see what's taking the extra time. I haven't
timed 11.2 or 11.3, but I can say 11.3 is noticeably slower.

--
The optimum committee has no members. - Norman Augustine
<<< Remove YOURSHOES to email me >>>

From: Malcolm on
On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 16:49:22 -0500
mjt <myswtestYOURSHOES(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyone notice a difference in the time it takes to get
> from "grub to desktop" for 11.3, as compared to 11.2?
>
> I'm going to check the logs and do some browsing around
> the system to see what's taking the extra time. I haven't
> timed 11.2 or 11.3, but I can say 11.3 is noticeably slower.

Hi
Install bootchartd?

I just set my system for no autologin, installed boochartd, then when
at the GRUB menu just add init=/sbin/bootchartd to the options. The
image will appear as /var/log/bootchart.png

You could then check for the desktop login times.

--
Cheers Malcolm ��� (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.32.13-0.4-default

From: mjt on
On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 16:55:18 -0500
Malcolm <malcolm_nospamlewis(a)bellsouth.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 16:49:22 -0500
> mjt <myswtestYOURSHOES(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Anyone notice a difference in the time it takes to get
> > from "grub to desktop" for 11.3, as compared to 11.2?

> Install bootchartd?
[snipped]
> You could then check for the desktop login times.

Good idea ...

So, I did a "stop-watch" timing of 11.2 and 11.3 ...
11.2 = 32 seconds and 11.3 = 60 seconds. I know,
I know, 60 seconds isn't that long of a time to wait
for the system to become usable, but it is long
compared to what I'm used to :)

--
Numeric stability is probably not all that important when you're
guessing.

From: Will Honea on
mjt wrote:

> So, I did a "stop-watch" timing of 11.2 and 11.3 ...
> 11.2 = 32 seconds  and  11.3 = 60 seconds. I know,
> I know, 60 seconds isn't that long of a time to wait
> for the system to become usable, but it is long
> compared to what I'm used to  :)

Subjective measurement but that jives pretty well with what I see here.
11.3 takes about the same as 11.1 takes Grub -> desktop.

64-bit on AMD Athlon X2 3600+, 4GB RAM.

--
Will Honea

From: Tosspot on
On 17/07/10 23:03, mjt wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 16:55:18 -0500
> Malcolm <malcolm_nospamlewis(a)bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 16:49:22 -0500
>> mjt <myswtestYOURSHOES(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone notice a difference in the time it takes to get
>>> from "grub to desktop" for 11.3, as compared to 11.2?
>
>> Install bootchartd?
> [snipped]
>> You could then check for the desktop login times.
>
> Good idea ...
>
> So, I did a "stop-watch" timing of 11.2 and 11.3 ...
> 11.2 = 32 seconds

Sounds right to me, I reckon 35 seconds by the clock on the wall.

> and 11.3 = 60 seconds. I know,
> I know, 60 seconds isn't that long of a time to wait
> for the system to become usable, but it is long
> compared to what I'm used to :)

I was under the impression, possibly false, that 11.2 got quicker as time went by.