From: Jia Lu on
Hi all

I want to use the newest 11gR2 in a new project.
But my boss said 11gR2 is too new. 10gR2 is the best.

I want to know if there are some fatal bug report about 11gR2 on
Linux ? And is 11gR2 more available with 10gR2?

Thanks.

Best
Lau Lu
From: John Hurley on
On Apr 15, 6:36 am, Jia Lu <roka...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

snip

>  I want to use the newest 11gR2 in a new project.
> But my boss said 11gR2 is too new. 10gR2 is the best.
>
> I want to know if there are some fatal bug report about 11gR2 on
> Linux ? And is 11gR2 more available with 10gR2?

We have been running on 11.1 for a long time now. Pretty darn stable
for us. Currently sitting at 11.1.0.7.1 looking at 11.1.0.7.3.

No experience yet with 11.2 but there is now maintenance available
beyond the base release i.e. PSU for Oracle Database 11.2.0.1.1

I know a bunch of people running production systems on 11g now ( but
not sure if anyone running prod on 11.2 yet ).

From: Rob Burton on
On Apr 15, 11:36 am, Jia Lu <roka...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all
>
>  I want to use the newest 11gR2 in a new project.
> But my boss said 11gR2 is too new. 10gR2 is the best.
>
> I want to know if there are some fatal bug report about 11gR2 on
> Linux ? And is 11gR2 more available with 10gR2?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Best
> Lau Lu

10.2 goes out of premier support in July2010. Core functionality tends
to improve with later releases (new features might have some bugs in
them). I've had no problems with 11.2 so far, and as pointed out 11.2
now has a patchset update available now.
From: joel garry on
On Apr 16, 2:06 am, Rob Burton <burton....(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 15, 11:36 am, Jia Lu <roka...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi all
>
> >  I want to use the newest 11gR2 in a new project.
> > But my boss said 11gR2 is too new. 10gR2 is the best.
>
> > I want to know if there are some fatal bug report about 11gR2 on
> > Linux ? And is 11gR2 more available with 10gR2?
>
> > Thanks.
>
> > Best
> > Lau Lu
>
> 10.2 goes out of premier support in July2010. Core functionality tends
> to improve with later releases (new features might have some bugs in
> them). I've had no problems with 11.2 so far, and as pointed out 11.2
> now has a patchset update available now.

It makes sense for, say, a conservative accounting department to be
trailing edge. This is often driven by application vendor
requirements and existing systems. It makes sense for new projects
using newer features for DW, DSS or web applications to be fairly
current. To be bleeding edge, you have to accept that you will run
into perhaps fatal bugs as they get discovered, requiring expensive
(in technical staff terms) solutions. The latter is a managerial
decision, which may be driven by input about the usefulness of new
features, and funding for working closely with Oracle in some larger
organizations.

For one guy doing a new project under a conservative boss, perhaps you
(Lau Lu) could point out that you could develop under the bleeding
edge, but implement under the stable system if there isn't a real
necessity for the newest features - and it could be a way to get a
start on the upgrade curve without fully committing to it, so you can
check if it will break anything existing as time allows. Sometimes
the new features are useful, and as Rob says, core functionality
improvements provide free benefits.

I've seen a number of places have specific budgetary requirements
over, say, a five year horizon, so as hardware prices drop, they can
get more powerful new hardware with new versions of everything, test
them, implement, and make the old stuff testbeds/standby until the
next cycle. This is much better than some places who say "if it ain't
broke don't fix it," then wind up in a crises as everything is no
longer supported and the "stable system" breaks anyways. There are
reasons for the accounting concept of depreciation, which includes
recognizing business equipment gets old and less useful. Bespoke
software may add value to the business, or may be quickly surpassed by
COTS.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
I'll never trust Snoopy again.
From: Mark D Powell on
On Apr 15, 6:36 am, Jia Lu <roka...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all
>
>  I want to use the newest 11gR2 in a new project.
> But my boss said 11gR2 is too new. 10gR2 is the best.
>
> I want to know if there are some fatal bug report about 11gR2 on
> Linux ? And is 11gR2 more available with 10gR2?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Best
> Lau Lu

Personally I think 11.2 would be fine, but I can understand your
boss's point of view. Still Oracle has 11.1 out for what 18 months
before 11.2 was released which may you could mention. It is not like
10.2 is bug free though it does have a much large installed base over
11.2 if historical trends are still in effect.

IMHO -- Mark D Powell --