From: mrdarrett on
I have an old laptop (366MHz) which takes in 18.5V @ 3A by external
(switching?) power supply. (It didn't have a battery with it when I
bought it - got it 2 years ago for about $200.)

I recently built an external battery pack, powered by 16 Energizer 1.2V
2500mAh NiMH AA cells, to power my laptop in lieu of the external power
supply, and it does work. So far I have been able to run the laptop
for about an hour and a half, and still going strong. (Decided to stop
stress-testing at 1:15am, since I had work the next morning.) A far
cry from paying $150 for a "new" laptop battery, when the laptop only
cost me $200. Although, my 16 NiMH AA battery pack screams "GEEK!" at
anyone who glances at it... ;-)

For my next project, a DC-DC converter.

So... I'd like to convert 12VDC from a jump-start car battery to
18.5VDC, at 3A.

After reading a recent thread about avoiding Maxim like the plague, I
went over to TI's website, entered my parameters (Input V: 12VDC;
output V: 18.5 VDC; current: 3A.)

I found this from the search result:

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tps5430.pdf

but I was a bit confused why this would have been suggested, since it
seems to be a step-DOWN regulator.

Any suggestions...?

Thanks,

Michael

From: mrdarrett on

mrdarrett(a)gmail.com wrote:
> I have an old laptop (366MHz) which takes in 18.5V @ 3A by external
> (switching?) power supply. (It didn't have a battery with it when I
> bought it - got it 2 years ago for about $200.)
>
> I recently built an external battery pack, powered by 16 Energizer 1.2V
> 2500mAh NiMH AA cells, to power my laptop in lieu of the external power
> supply, and it does work. So far I have been able to run the laptop
> for about an hour and a half, and still going strong. (Decided to stop
> stress-testing at 1:15am, since I had work the next morning.) A far
> cry from paying $150 for a "new" laptop battery, when the laptop only
> cost me $200. Although, my 16 NiMH AA battery pack screams "GEEK!" at
> anyone who glances at it... ;-)
>
> For my next project, a DC-DC converter.
>
> So... I'd like to convert 12VDC from a jump-start car battery to
> 18.5VDC, at 3A.
>
> After reading a recent thread about avoiding Maxim like the plague, I
> went over to TI's website, entered my parameters (Input V: 12VDC;
> output V: 18.5 VDC; current: 3A.)
>
> I found this from the search result:
>
> http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tps5430.pdf
>
> but I was a bit confused why this would have been suggested, since it
> seems to be a step-DOWN regulator.
>
> Any suggestions...?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael

Eh, no response from sci.electronics.basics; belatedly cross-posting to
SED. Better than multiposting... ;-)

Michael

From: Rich Grise on
On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 15:39:35 -0700, mrdarrett wrote:
> mrdarrett(a)gmail.com wrote:
>> I have an old laptop (366MHz) which takes in 18.5V @ 3A by external
>> (switching?) power supply. (It didn't have a battery with it when I
>> bought it - got it 2 years ago for about $200.)
>>
>> I recently built an external battery pack, powered by 16 Energizer 1.2V
>> 2500mAh NiMH AA cells, to power my laptop in lieu of the external power
>> supply, and it does work. So far I have been able to run the laptop
>> for about an hour and a half, and still going strong. (Decided to stop
>> stress-testing at 1:15am, since I had work the next morning.) A far
>> cry from paying $150 for a "new" laptop battery, when the laptop only
>> cost me $200. Although, my 16 NiMH AA battery pack screams "GEEK!" at
>> anyone who glances at it... ;-)
>>
>> For my next project, a DC-DC converter.
>>
>> So... I'd like to convert 12VDC from a jump-start car battery to
>> 18.5VDC, at 3A.
>>
>> After reading a recent thread about avoiding Maxim like the plague, I
>> went over to TI's website, entered my parameters (Input V: 12VDC;
>> output V: 18.5 VDC; current: 3A.)
>>
>> I found this from the search result:
>>
>> http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tps5430.pdf
>>
>> but I was a bit confused why this would have been suggested, since it
>> seems to be a step-DOWN regulator.
>>
>> Any suggestions...?
>
> Eh, no response from sci.electronics.basics; belatedly cross-posting to
> SED. Better than multiposting... ;-)

Well, for one thing, don't power it from a "car" battery, unless the
battery is on a continuous float charge. And _especially_ don't use a
jump-starting battery. They're designed to provide hundreds of amps,
for a minute or so. Use a golf-cart battery, wheelchair battery, boat
battery, whatever - the operative term would be "deep-cycle" or "deep
discharge".

I can't adivse you on a boost regulator, but I do think it seems simpler
to just use 24V of batteries, and regulate it down with a linear regulator
on a mongo heat sink.

Or did you want this thing to be portable? ;-)

Good Luck!
Rich

From: mrdarrett on

Rich Grise wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 15:39:35 -0700, mrdarrett wrote:
> > mrdarrett(a)gmail.com wrote:
> >> I have an old laptop (366MHz) which takes in 18.5V @ 3A by external
> >> (switching?) power supply. (It didn't have a battery with it when I
> >> bought it - got it 2 years ago for about $200.)
> >>
> >> I recently built an external battery pack, powered by 16 Energizer 1.2V
> >> 2500mAh NiMH AA cells, to power my laptop in lieu of the external power
> >> supply, and it does work. So far I have been able to run the laptop
> >> for about an hour and a half, and still going strong. (Decided to stop
> >> stress-testing at 1:15am, since I had work the next morning.) A far
> >> cry from paying $150 for a "new" laptop battery, when the laptop only
> >> cost me $200. Although, my 16 NiMH AA battery pack screams "GEEK!" at
> >> anyone who glances at it... ;-)
> >>
> >> For my next project, a DC-DC converter.
> >>
> >> So... I'd like to convert 12VDC from a jump-start car battery to
> >> 18.5VDC, at 3A.
> >>
> >> After reading a recent thread about avoiding Maxim like the plague, I
> >> went over to TI's website, entered my parameters (Input V: 12VDC;
> >> output V: 18.5 VDC; current: 3A.)
> >>
> >> I found this from the search result:
> >>
> >> http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tps5430.pdf
> >>
> >> but I was a bit confused why this would have been suggested, since it
> >> seems to be a step-DOWN regulator.
> >>
> >> Any suggestions...?
> >
> > Eh, no response from sci.electronics.basics; belatedly cross-posting to
> > SED. Better than multiposting... ;-)
> >

> Well, for one thing, don't power it from a "car" battery, unless the
> battery is on a continuous float charge. And _especially_ don't use a
> jump-starting battery. They're designed to provide hundreds of amps,
> for a minute or so. Use a golf-cart battery, wheelchair battery, boat
> battery, whatever - the operative term would be "deep-cycle" or "deep
> discharge".
>
> I can't adivse you on a boost regulator, but I do think it seems simpler
> to just use 24V of batteries, and regulate it down with a linear regulator
> on a mongo heat sink.
>
> Or did you want this thing to be portable? ;-)
>
> Good Luck!
> Rich

Well, portability was kind of the idea, since I already have the 110
AC-to-DC switching power supply... ;-)

I was planning on using the jump start battery, without using my
square-wave inverter (Vector 75W I think is what it is) to power the
switching power supply, and exchange this extra bulk with a homebuilt
DC-DC converter.

So a jump-start battery isn't a deep-cycle, eh? Thanks for the info...

Michael

From: Joerg on
Hello Michael,

>>I have an old laptop (366MHz) which takes in 18.5V @ 3A by external
>>(switching?) power supply. (It didn't have a battery with it when I
>>bought it - got it 2 years ago for about $200.)
>>
>>I recently built an external battery pack, powered by 16 Energizer 1.2V
>>2500mAh NiMH AA cells, to power my laptop in lieu of the external power
>>supply, and it does work. So far I have been able to run the laptop
>>for about an hour and a half, and still going strong. (Decided to stop
>>stress-testing at 1:15am, since I had work the next morning.) A far
>>cry from paying $150 for a "new" laptop battery, when the laptop only
>>cost me $200. Although, my 16 NiMH AA battery pack screams "GEEK!" at
>>anyone who glances at it... ;-)

Now don't show up at airport security with that concoction :-)

>>For my next project, a DC-DC converter.
>>
>>So... I'd like to convert 12VDC from a jump-start car battery to
>>18.5VDC, at 3A.
>>
>>After reading a recent thread about avoiding Maxim like the plague, I
>>went over to TI's website, entered my parameters (Input V: 12VDC;
>>output V: 18.5 VDC; current: 3A.)
>>
>>I found this from the search result:
>>
>>http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tps5430.pdf
>>
>>but I was a bit confused why this would have been suggested, since it
>>seems to be a step-DOWN regulator.
>>
>>Any suggestions...?

Look at the LM3478 from National. Nice chip, have used it myself but
AFAIR it only comes in the teeny MSOP package. Besides some mundane
parts around it you'd need a stiff N-channel FET, a beefy inductor and a
fast diode that can handle the amps. Since it is usually operated at
several hundred kHz your inductor won't have to be huge.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com