From: Chris Foster on
Hey all,
I have a great new invention, the Dark Emitting Diode (DED). You put
it in a dark closet and it generates electricity. Kinda cool huh??
Im taking orders. Please send the check to my house.

From: Chris on

Chris Foster wrote:
> Hey all,
> I have a great new invention, the Dark Emitting Diode (DED). You put
> it in a dark closet and it generates electricity. Kinda cool huh??
> Im taking orders. Please send the check to my house.

Most of us are still waiting for back orders from when the invention of
the DED was announced in an April Fools edition of an electronics
magazine back in the early '70s -- don't remember which one.

Cheers
Chris

From: John O'Flaherty on

Chris wrote:
> Chris Foster wrote:
> > Hey all,
> > I have a great new invention, the Dark Emitting Diode (DED). You put
> > it in a dark closet and it generates electricity. Kinda cool huh??
> > Im taking orders. Please send the check to my house.
> >
> > --
>
> Most of us are still waiting for back orders from when the invention of
> the DED was announced in an April Fools edition of an electronics
> magazine back in the early '70s -- don't remember which one.

Maybe it was this one:

The Black-Hole Diode
Byte Magazine, in its What's New column, described a useful new
computer component: the "7N- infinity BHD (black-hole diode)." The
component was said to be useful mostly for "GI (garbage-in)"
applications. The magazine explained that due to the light-absorption
characteristics of the device, they were unable to print a photograph
of it.

http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/af_1981.html
April Fool's Day, 1981

--
John

From: Michael Black on
"John O'Flaherty" (quiasmox(a)yahoo.com) writes:
> Chris wrote:
>> Chris Foster wrote:
>> > Hey all,
>> > I have a great new invention, the Dark Emitting Diode (DED). You put
>> > it in a dark closet and it generates electricity. Kinda cool huh??
>> > Im taking orders. Please send the check to my house.
>> >
>> > --
>>
>> Most of us are still waiting for back orders from when the invention of
>> the DED was announced in an April Fools edition of an electronics
>> magazine back in the early '70s -- don't remember which one.
>
> Maybe it was this one:
>
> The Black-Hole Diode
> Byte Magazine, in its What's New column, described a useful new
> computer component: the "7N- infinity BHD (black-hole diode)." The
> component was said to be useful mostly for "GI (garbage-in)"
> applications. The magazine explained that due to the light-absorption
> characteristics of the device, they were unable to print a photograph
> of it.
>
> http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/af_1981.html
> April Fool's Day, 1981

I think Marcia Swampfelder did it first, in Popular Electronics. I'm sure
she did something along those lines, and I'd place it earlier.

One could ask Don Lancaster, he seems to know her well (even if the
only time we've heard from Marcia Swampfelder was in April issues).

Even for Byte, 1981 seems late. I can picture something in an April
issue, and it's on non-glossy paper, which dates it to about 1977 or 78
(when they had a section of non-glossy paper, for news bits and advertising).

And one of the professional magazines, like Electronics or Electronic
Design, I think they had something earlier, though this is second hand
based on a vague memory of people talking about it.

Michael

From: Puckdropper on
Chris Foster <edolan(a)iw.net> wrote in

> Hey all,
> I have a great new invention, the Dark Emitting Diode (DED). You
> put
> it in a dark closet and it generates electricity. Kinda cool huh??
> Im taking orders. Please send the check to my house.

Already have one... a photocell. Except it doesn't generate electicity
as much as it changes resistance.

Puckdropper