From: Radium on
Hi:

I have read about the neurophone which claims to produce auditory
perception through nerve stimulation. Something to do with electric
signals of certain frequencies being sensed as sound by the brain.

Science proves that temporal bone vibration can be used to cause
auditory pseudohallucinations.

Check out: http://www.priory.com/halluc.htm#pseudo

"Radio-reception. A 35 year old Vietnam combat, veteran (32) started
to complain of depression, headaches, and hearing blurred voices and
music. Skull X-rays showed shrapnel metallic densities in the soft
tissues and cranial bones of the left parieto-occipital region. His
perception of voices and music were matched with stations in the AM
broadcast band, and consistently identified the same station in the
560 Khz range. His radio- reception involved the metal implant diode
rectification of the radio signal, and its bone transmission to the
auditory apparatus. Other cases of broadcast reception due to dental
work have been reported as well."

The above pseudohallucination is no surpise to me and not at all
fascinating.

Cochlear implants stimulate the peripheral auditory nerve-endings in
the cochlea. Electric signals excite these nerve endings. The
neurophone is said to work differently -- by using electric signals on
any nerve in the body. At a specific frequency this is supposed to
stimulate the auditory cortex of the brain. This, according to
Flantech, causes a perception of sound. Isn't this too good to be true,
given the state of today's technology?

Links about neurophone:

1. http://www.neurophone.com/home.htm

2. http://www.worldtrans.org/spir/neuro.html

Regards,

Radium

From: Bob Masta on
On 25 Sep 2006 22:06:45 -0700, "Radium" <glucegen1(a)excite.com> wrote:

>Hi:
>
>I have read about the neurophone which claims to produce auditory
>perception through nerve stimulation. Something to do with electric
>signals of certain frequencies being sensed as sound by the brain.
>
>Science proves that temporal bone vibration can be used to cause
>auditory pseudohallucinations.
>
>Check out: http://www.priory.com/halluc.htm#pseudo
>
>"Radio-reception. A 35 year old Vietnam combat, veteran (32) started
>to complain of depression, headaches, and hearing blurred voices and
>music. Skull X-rays showed shrapnel metallic densities in the soft
>tissues and cranial bones of the left parieto-occipital region. His
>perception of voices and music were matched with stations in the AM
>broadcast band, and consistently identified the same station in the
>560 Khz range. His radio- reception involved the metal implant diode
>rectification of the radio signal, and its bone transmission to the
>auditory apparatus. Other cases of broadcast reception due to dental
>work have been reported as well."
>
>The above pseudohallucination is no surpise to me and not at all
>fascinating.

>Cochlear implants stimulate the peripheral auditory nerve-endings in
>the cochlea. Electric signals excite these nerve endings. The
>neurophone is said to work differently -- by using electric signals on
>any nerve in the body. At a specific frequency this is supposed to
>stimulate the auditory cortex of the brain. This, according to
>Flantech, causes a perception of sound. Isn't this too good to be true,
>given the state of today's technology?
>
>Links about neurophone:
>
>1. http://www.neurophone.com/home.htm
>
>2. http://www.worldtrans.org/spir/neuro.html

Thanks for these links. This is a fascinating area for
me, since I spent most of my professional career in
hearing research. But I think the neurophone is
really pseudo-science. Here's why:

Hearing is a *parallel channel* system. Each
individual frequency that we can resolve is
sent from the cochlea on its own individual nerve.
There is a very narrow band of frequencies that
each nerve will respond to at peak sensitivity,
though the band widens out with louder sounds.

Nevertheless, the frequency discrimination is all
done in the cochlea, by electro-mechanical means.
By the time a sound is turned into nerve impulses,
you have to look at the whole array of nerves to
get a picture of the spectrum of the sound.

A single electrode placed anywhere after the cochlea
can not provide the sensation of frequency, except
in the crudest sense. You'd only perceive the *envelope*
of the sound, and you'd think that it was at a frequency
corresponding to whatever nerve was stimulated.
(There are several thousand nerves from the cochlea
to handle full range of frequencies we perceive.)

So a gross single electrode is going to sound like
"BUZZbuzzbuzzBUZZbuzBUZZBUZZbuzzbuzz"
That's what patients of the earliest cochlear implants
heard... crude, but a heck of a lot better than nothing.
And it turned out it corresponded well with vowel sounds,
which are hard to pick up from lip-reading, so that a
patient with one of these who could also see the lips
of a speaker could read lips *much* better. But it was
hopelss for telephone use, for example.

The newer multi-electrode designs can stimulate several
frequency bands at once. (Even though there are 22
or more electrodes, you get maybe 8 effective ones after
the initial testing.) Many patients can indeed learn to use
the telephone after practice, but music is pretty lame.

So what's going on with the neurophone? I am dubious
that it has really helped any patient with cochlear ("nerve")
deafness, except as a crude lip-reading aid. There is
simply no way to encode frequency individually to all
of the thousands of nerves... or even to 2 of them!

However, there are some "electrophonic" effects that
have been known as curiosities for about 100 years.
By proper voltage application to tissue, you can actually
make the tissue vibrate, creating regular old acoustic
sound which can then be heard by a normal ear.

I have experimented with this, and it's pretty fiddly.
But anyone who wants to can try this: Get a good
bench-type osciallator that can drive a 50 ohm load.
(Not sure how important that is, but it worked for me.)
Bend up a paper clip and clamp it under the binding
post of the hot lead of the output, so the wire is
dangling in the air, sorta springy. Then set the level
to maybe 10 V or so at frequencies in the 1k-4k
range and *gently* stroke the wire with your fingertip
in a very quiet room. You may or may not want to
touch the ground post at the same time. This whole
thing was so unpredictable that I never pursued it
farther (nor, apparently, did anyone else!), but it
*did* produce occasional faint sound, and yes, it
could be heard by skeptical witnesses.

Hope this helps!

Bob Masta
dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom

D A Q A R T A
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
www.daqarta.com
Home of DaqGen, the FREEWARE signal generator
From: Angelo Campanella on
Radium wrote:
> The above pseudohallucination is no surpise to me and not at all
> fascinating.

Your degree of un-surprise is impresssive.

Google meucci+telephone+havana

for some interesting experiments on electrotherapy that also produced
sounds.

Angelo Campanella

From: billb on
Bob Masta wrote:
> However, there are some "electrophonic" effects that
> have been known as curiosities for about 100 years.
> By proper voltage application to tissue, you can actually
> make the tissue vibrate, creating regular old acoustic
> sound which can then be heard by a normal ear.

At the U. of Rochester around 1980, Rick Razdan (later founded ISCAN)
and I played with a crude Neurophone down in the basement of the vision
psych department. A Wavetek signal generator fed a rack-mount power
op-amp, which fed a few turns wrapped around a TV flyback transformer
with floating secondary. The electrodes were copper screen embedded
between thin plexiglas with silicone caulk. Tune the generator to the
flyback's resonance, then either switch on the Wavetek's internal 1KHz
modulator, or pipe some audio into the VCG connector.

It worked! With the electrodes clamped to our heads, we could hear
very clear sound. But I noticed while clamping the electrode plates to
my arm, I could hear the sound coming from the electrodes. By simply
touching my fingertips gently to one of the plates, I could hear the
sound coming from my fingertips. We turned out the lights and saw a
purple glow surrounding our fingertips in contact with the plastic.

So the Neurophone is actually a "Kirlian Photography" setup! It's
also a "plasma tweeter," since it creates a glow discharge, then
creates sound by modulating the amount of wattage feeding that plasma.

No doubt the device was injecting plenty of sound directly into the
tissues in contact with the electrodes, so the sound would travel
around inside. However, I could NOT hear any sound when I clamped the
device to my arm and then plugged my ears. If our amp had far more
power, perhaps I could have heard the flesh-conducted sound injected
into my arm and travelling up my neck to my ears..

When wearing the electrode plates on our ears, I suppose that the sound
mostly came from the contact point between our ear tissues and the
plastic. It behaved somewhat unexpectedly, since most of the sound
was apparently being injected into the flesh of our outer ears, then
travelling internally to our eardrums or perhaps directly to the
cochlea, rather than travelling through the air path. No matter how
the plates were positioned, the sound seemed to be coming from the same
direction. By touching the plate to any part of our ears, we heard the
same clear loud audio signal. Flesh conduction is weird. Underwater
noises, with your body being the "water."

But best of all, we got to watch each other with 30,000V electrodes
strapped to our heads!

((((((((((((((((((((((( ( ( (o) ) ) )))))))))))))))))))))))
William J. Beaty http://staff.washington.edu/wbeaty/
Research Engineer UW Chem Dept, Bagley Hall RM74
beaty(a)chemwashingtonedu Box 351700, Seattle, WA 98195-1700
ph:206-543-6195 fax:206-685-8665

From: Mike Rieves on

"Bob Masta" <NoSpam(a)daqarta.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> make the tissue vibrate, creating regular old acoustic
> sound which can then be heard by a normal ear.
>
> I have experimented with this, and it's pretty fiddly.
> But anyone who wants to can try this: Get a good
> bench-type osciallator that can drive a 50 ohm load.
> (Not sure how important that is, but it worked for me.)
> Bend up a paper clip and clamp it under the binding
> post of the hot lead of the output, so the wire is
> dangling in the air, sorta springy. Then set the level
> to maybe 10 V or so at frequencies in the 1k-4k
> range and *gently* stroke the wire with your fingertip
> in a very quiet room. You may or may not want to
> touch the ground post at the same time. This whole
> thing was so unpredictable that I never pursued it
> farther (nor, apparently, did anyone else!), but it
> *did* produce occasional faint sound, and yes, it

I remember seeing this thing on the TV program "I've Got a Secret" in the
late fifties or early sixties. (I saw a rerun of that show on the Game
networt a couple of years ago). I remember there were arguments in the press
at the time as to where it was really transmitting via RF or merely audio
transmitted by bone conduction. As best I remember, there were well-known
experts on both sides of the argument.
Also, Lucille Ball claimed to have heard a picked up a radio broadcast on
a filling while passing by a station after a visit from her dentist.