From: mrdarrett on
.... for a beginner?

And what's the difference, anyway, between the AVR and the ATxxxxxxxx
series of chips?

TIA

Michael

From: linnix on

mrdarr...(a)gmail.com wrote:
> ... for a beginner?

AVR is so simple, you don't need a book. Just get a development kit
and go through some examples on line and off line.

> And what's the difference, anyway, between the AVR and the ATxxxxxxxx
> series of chips?

Which AT? Generally speaking, ATtiny, ATmega and AT90 are similiar
AVRs.

From: mrdarrett on

linnix wrote:
> mrdarr...(a)gmail.com wrote:
> > ... for a beginner?
>
> AVR is so simple, you don't need a book. Just get a development kit
> and go through some examples on line and off line.
>

> > And what's the difference, anyway, between the AVR and the ATxxxxxxxx
> > series of chips?
>
> Which AT? Generally speaking, ATtiny, ATmega and AT90 are similiar
> AVRs.

Ah, so the AT90Sxxxx series is also an AVR... thought it was something
completely different.

So, about that book... ;-)

Michael

From: Joerg on
Hello Michael,

>>>... for a beginner?
>>
>>AVR is so simple, you don't need a book. Just get a development kit
>>and go through some examples on line and off line.
>>

>>>And what's the difference, anyway, between the AVR and the ATxxxxxxxx
>>>series of chips?
>>
>>Which AT? Generally speaking, ATtiny, ATmega and AT90 are similiar
>>AVRs.
>

> Ah, so the AT90Sxxxx series is also an AVR... thought it was something
> completely different.
>
> So, about that book... ;-)

Seriously, as Linnix wrote, you may not need one. I started with the TI
MSP430, thought about buying a book but after taking a look at one I
realized how fast some of the contents become obsolete. By the time it's
printed there is a slew of new uC variations that are now used by everyone.

Main things to get started: Learn the design environment, play around,
try to make the blinky-LED work, try to change blink rates or pattern,
load again and so on. Then study the family guide and the data sheet for
a long, long time. After that you know all the assembler words the uC of
choice understands and what they mean. Even if you never do assembler
you need to become familiar with the peripherals on board and how they
can affect or impair each other.

If you really want a book recommendation I'd post again at
comp.arch.embedded where among many uC experts there is also Ulf
Samuelsson from Atmel. I am sure he'd know which books are good. Ulf is
very responsive, I wish TI and others would participate as well.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
From: mrdarrett on

Joerg wrote:
> Hello Michael,

> >>AVR is so simple, you don't need a book. Just get a development kit
> >>and go through some examples on line and off line.

> >>Which AT? Generally speaking, ATtiny, ATmega and AT90 are similiar
> >>AVRs.
> >

> > Ah, so the AT90Sxxxx series is also an AVR... thought it was something
> > completely different.
> >
> > So, about that book... ;-)
> >

> Seriously, as Linnix wrote, you may not need one. I started with the TI
> MSP430, thought about buying a book but after taking a look at one I
> realized how fast some of the contents become obsolete. By the time it's
> printed there is a slew of new uC variations that are now used by everyone.
>
> Main things to get started: Learn the design environment, play around,
> try to make the blinky-LED work, try to change blink rates or pattern,
> load again and so on. Then study the family guide and the data sheet for
> a long, long time. After that you know all the assembler words the uC of
> choice understands and what they mean. Even if you never do assembler
> you need to become familiar with the peripherals on board and how they
> can affect or impair each other.
>
> If you really want a book recommendation I'd post again at
> comp.arch.embedded where among many uC experts there is also Ulf
> Samuelsson from Atmel. I am sure he'd know which books are good. Ulf is
> very responsive, I wish TI and others would participate as well.
>
> --
> Regards, Joerg
>
> http://www.analogconsultants.com

Ah ok. (Actually until you mentioned it I didn't even notice linnix
had replied inline to my first question. Sorry 'bout that, linnix.
:-)

Was browsing over at amazon.com and was getting worried about some of
the comments the users said...

Michael