From: Noozer on
Anyone have a simple digital tachometer schematic handy?

I want to put a 4 digit LED tach into my van. Resolution of 50rpm is fine.
Fed by the TACH output of a six cylinder GMC on distributor coil.

If it isn't much more difficult, I'd like to be able to drive a bar graph of
12 to 16 LEDs as well.

From: BobG on
Noozer wrote:
> Anyone have a simple digital tachometer schematic handy?
> I want to put a 4 digit LED tach into my van. Resolution of 50rpm is fine.
> Fed by the TACH output of a six cylinder GMC on distributor coil.
> If it isn't much more difficult, I'd like to be able to drive a bar graph of
> 12 to 16 LEDs as well.
try epanorama. This would also be a good project to learn c programming
on a microcontroller. Use a text lcd as the bar graph. Or a graphics
lcd. Look at the Olimex MT128 at olimex.com

From: pjdd on
Noozer wrote:
> Anyone have a simple digital tachometer schematic handy?
>
> I want to put a 4 digit LED tach into my van. Resolution of 50rpm is fine.
> Fed by the TACH output of a six cylinder GMC on distributor coil.
>
> If it isn't much more difficult, I'd like to be able to drive a bar graph of
> 12 to 16 LEDs as well.

How about doing it the old-fashioned analog way ? An
LM2907/2917 as F-V converter, and a 4 1/2-digit DVM module
for readout. Another venerable IC, the LM3914 could provide
the bar graph display, two of them for a 20-dot scale.

From: Homer J Simpson on

"Noozer" <dont.spam(a)me.here> wrote in message

> Anyone have a simple digital tachometer schematic handy?
>
> I want to put a 4 digit LED tach into my van. Resolution of 50rpm is fine.
> Fed by the TACH output of a six cylinder GMC on distributor coil.
>
> If it isn't much more difficult, I'd like to be able to drive a bar graph
> of 12 to 16 LEDs as well.

http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_102835/article.html

A Digital Tachometer For Your Car

Compact design features a 4-digit LED display and a bargraph. It can also
provide gearchange indication and drive a rev limiter.

From: Tam/WB2TT on

"Noozer" <dont.spam(a)me.here> wrote in message
> Anyone have a simple digital tachometer schematic handy?
>
> I want to put a 4 digit LED tach into my van. Resolution of 50rpm is fine.
> Fed by the TACH output of a six cylinder GMC on distributor coil.
>
> If it isn't much more difficult, I'd like to be able to drive a bar graph
> of 12 to 16 LEDs as well.

Build a frequency counter, and pick the right gate time. I think if you make
the gate time 1/300 of a minute, the display will show RPM/100. Make it
1/30th of a minute (2seconds), and it will display RPM/10. There is a common
coil?

Tam