From: James H. Markowitz on
Anybody in this forum tried to install VMware Workstation 7 under
Slackware 13.1? If so, could you please share your experiences?
From: Aaron W. Hsu on
James H. Markowitz wrote:

> Anybody in this forum tried to install VMware Workstation 7 under
> Slackware 13.1? If so, could you please share your experiences?

I just installed it and it's working great. I have a number of VMs that
are working, including OpenBSD, Vista, and two copies of Windows 7.

Aaron W. Hsu
From: James H. Markowitz on
On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 15:10:15 -0400, Aaron W. Hsu wrote:

> James H. Markowitz wrote:
>
>> Anybody in this forum tried to install VMware Workstation 7 under
>> Slackware 13.1? If so, could you please share your experiences?
>
> I just installed it and it's working great. I have a number of VMs that
> are working, including OpenBSD, Vista, and two copies of Windows 7.

What kernel are you using? Did you have to massage the
installation process in any way, or did things work smoothly out of the
box?

From: Aaron W. Hsu on
James H. Markowitz wrote:

> What kernel are you using? Did you have to massage the
> installation process in any way, or did things work smoothly out of the
> box?

Freshly installed Slackware64 13.1 installation with the generic kernel +
initrd derived from the helper script. It's VMWare Workstation 7.1 x64 and
it worked just fine. There were not problems with the installation and
nothing strange.

I do have mulilib installed, but that shouldn't make any difference here.
It does for some things, like my installation of SoftMaker Office and
OpenWatcom.

Slackware has been an absolute champ at running propriety Linux software,
including BX Pro and Opera.

Aaron W. Hsu
From: troglobyte on
On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 19:13:31 -0400, Aaron W. Hsu wrote:

> James H. Markowitz wrote:
>
>> What kernel are you using? Did you have to massage the installation
>> process in any way, or did things work smoothly out of the box?
>
> Freshly installed Slackware64 13.1 installation with the generic kernel
> + initrd derived from the helper script. It's VMWare Workstation 7.1 x64
> and it worked just fine. There were not problems with the installation
> and nothing strange.
>
> I do have mulilib installed, but that shouldn't make any difference
> here. It does for some things, like my installation of SoftMaker Office
> and OpenWatcom.
>
> Slackware has been an absolute champ at running propriety Linux
> software, including BX Pro and Opera.
>
> Aaron W. Hsu

No problems here without multilib.

--