From: Falk Willberg on
A friend's 1999 Ford Windstar started to cause trouble a year ago:
The right front turn indicator went on once, then off and a problem with
the bulb was displayed, even though it was ok. Connecting front and side
indicator lamp "solved" the problem.
Later more electric devices, all controlled by this "FEM" went "mad":
Interior lights flashed, windscreen wiper turned on and off randomly,
theft protection sounded alarm without a cause.
Almost all 2pin SMD-Components are slightly misplaced, probably causing
bad soldering: (http://www.falk-willberg.de/Windstar/FEM-1.jpeg).

While removing the FEM from the car, the interior lights started
flashing. It stopped, when I knocked on the Module...

I would prefer to get a "FEM" from a junkyard, but the Ford dealer says,
that the module must be "clear", because otherwise the central computer
would refuse to communicate with the module. Any way to "clear" the module?

I could re-solder bad junctions, if I had an idea, where to start (I
don't want to do all of them).

Grateful for any advice,
Falk
From: Meat Plow on
On Sat, 05 Jun 2010 14:40:46 +0200, Falk Willberg ǝʇoɹʍ:

> A friend's 1999 Ford Windstar started to cause trouble a year ago: The
> right front turn indicator went on once, then off and a problem with the
> bulb was displayed, even though it was ok. Connecting front and side
> indicator lamp "solved" the problem.
> Later more electric devices, all controlled by this "FEM" went "mad":
> Interior lights flashed, windscreen wiper turned on and off randomly,
> theft protection sounded alarm without a cause. Almost all 2pin
> SMD-Components are slightly misplaced, probably causing bad soldering:
> (http://www.falk-willberg.de/Windstar/FEM-1.jpeg).
>
> While removing the FEM from the car, the interior lights started
> flashing. It stopped, when I knocked on the Module...
>
> I would prefer to get a "FEM" from a junkyard, but the Ford dealer says,
> that the module must be "clear", because otherwise the central computer
> would refuse to communicate with the module. Any way to "clear" the
> module?
>
> I could re-solder bad junctions, if I had an idea, where to start (I
> don't want to do all of them).
>
> Grateful for any advice,
> Falk

If the module has data stored in volatile RAM then removing the voltage
source responsible for holding that data in RAM would flush it. You did
talk to the person who advised you to clear the module on a way to do it?
From: PeterD on
<faweglassenlk(a)falk-willberg.de> wrote:

>A friend's 1999 Ford Windstar started to cause trouble a year ago:
>The right front turn indicator went on once, then off and a problem with
>the bulb was displayed, even though it was ok. Connecting front and side
>indicator lamp "solved" the problem.
>Later more electric devices, all controlled by this "FEM" went "mad":
>Interior lights flashed, windscreen wiper turned on and off randomly,
>theft protection sounded alarm without a cause.
>Almost all 2pin SMD-Components are slightly misplaced, probably causing
>bad soldering: (http://www.falk-willberg.de/Windstar/FEM-1.jpeg).
>
>While removing the FEM from the car, the interior lights started
>flashing.

You tried to remove a module without first disconnecting the battery?
Absolutely the wrong thing to do, will typically damage the module.
Never, ever work on anything electrical/electronic with the battery
connected.

>It stopped, when I knocked on the Module...
>
>I would prefer to get a "FEM" from a junkyard, but the Ford dealer says,
>that the module must be "clear", because otherwise the central computer
>would refuse to communicate with the module. Any way to "clear" the module?

With the tool(s) from Ford.

>I could re-solder bad junctions, if I had an idea, where to start (I
>don't want to do all of them).

Do them all.

From: Falk Willberg on
Meat Plow schrieb:
> On Sat, 05 Jun 2010 14:40:46 +0200, Falk Willberg ??o??:

>> I would prefer to get a "FEM" from a junkyard, but the Ford dealer says,
>> that the module must be "clear", because otherwise the central computer
>> would refuse to communicate with the module. Any way to "clear" the
>> module?

> If the module has data stored in volatile RAM then removing the voltage
> source responsible for holding that data in RAM would flush it.

I was told that disconnecting the power does not do the job.

> You did
> talk to the person who advised you to clear the module on a way to do it?

I talked to the owner of the car who talked to someone, who told him
that. I also found some hint on the web, saying that some Ford-tools
need to be used to replace the FEM with a "blank" one.

It is said to be some kind of theft protection.

Falk
From: Falk Willberg on
PeterD schrieb:
> On Sat, 05 Jun 2010 14:40:46 +0200, Falk Willberg
> <faweglassenlk(a)falk-willberg.de> wrote:

>> While removing the FEM from the car, the interior lights started
>> flashing.
>
> You tried to remove a module without first disconnecting the battery?

No, not really. We only wanted to hear some music while we were
searching for screw #3 ;-) Before disconnecting the module, I
disconnected the battery.

> With the tool(s) from Ford.

The workshops my friend asked said, that they no longer have those tools...

>> I could re-solder bad junctions, if I had an idea, where to start (I
>> don't want to do all of them).
>
> Do them all.

I even refuse to count them:
http://falk-willberg.de/Windstar/FEM-Loetseite.jpeg