From: ian field on
Since other people have started posting car electronics questions, I thought
I'd strike while the iron is hot so to speak.

Anyone got tech info on the Lucas 9EM ignition module?

Thanks.

From: PeterD on
On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 14:36:08 +0100, "ian field"
<gangprobing.alien(a)ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Since other people have started posting car electronics questions, I thought
>I'd strike while the iron is hot so to speak.
>
>Anyone got tech info on the Lucas 9EM ignition module?
>
>Thanks.

What is it out of, what does it do?
From: ian field on

"PeterD" <peter2(a)hipson.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 14:36:08 +0100, "ian field"
> <gangprobing.alien(a)ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>>Since other people have started posting car electronics questions, I
>>thought
>>I'd strike while the iron is hot so to speak.
>>
>>Anyone got tech info on the Lucas 9EM ignition module?
>>
>>Thanks.
>>

> What is it out of, what does it do?

It was widely used on British cars, during the 80's IIRC.

Its a transistor assisted ignition, but I don't know whether its points or
reluctor.

A couple turned up in a box of auto spares I aquired and it'd be handy to
figure out how to test them..

From: denali on
On Jun 5, 12:28 pm, PeterD <pet...(a)hipson.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 14:36:08 +0100, "ian field"
>
> <gangprobing.al...(a)ntlworld.com> wrote:
> >Since other people have started posting car electronics questions, I thought
> >I'd strike while the iron is hot so to speak.
>
> >Anyone got tech info on the Lucas 9EM ignition module?
>
> >Thanks.
>
> What is it out of, what does it do?

As with all components manufactured by Lucas, the God of Darkness,
it's purpose is to function for a non-specified length of time and
then fail at the most troublesome moment.
From: ian field on

"denali" <007denali(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
On Jun 5, 12:28 pm, PeterD <pet...(a)hipson.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 14:36:08 +0100, "ian field"
>
> <gangprobing.al...(a)ntlworld.com> wrote:
> >Since other people have started posting car electronics questions, I
> >thought
> >I'd strike while the iron is hot so to speak.
>
> >Anyone got tech info on the Lucas 9EM ignition module?
>
> >Thanks.
>
> What is it out of, what does it do?

As with all components manufactured by Lucas, the God of Darkness,
it's purpose is to function for a non-specified length of time and
then fail at the most troublesome moment.

*******

There was much worse than Lucas about - close running for a photo finish are
Wipac, Czeckoslovakian and Italian.

Can't remember what it was I had that was Italian - it fell to bits even
quicker than the CZ250!

Actually - on reflection, nothing is quite as bad as Wipac!