From: root on
I have a Panasonice DMR-EZ28 recorder whose
optical drive failed. You can buy one
new for about $225. I called Panasonic to
check on the price for the drive: $135+$15
shipping=$150. So I went online to find
an alternate source: I found two places.
Parts something or other had one at $340
and MCM had one at $450. I used to buy
from MCM when VCRs were worth repairing.
Now?

From: circuit on
Pretty common problem...manufacturers leave stuff on the shelf and never
reduce costs of spare parts even if you can purchase a new unit with more
features for less cost of the spare part. The only company I ever saw who
did differently was SONY on a 27 Inch trinitron CRT (Circa 1982) - which
they reduced the cost down to $40.00 Retail plus shipping. I dont know if
that was an experiment they discontinued, or if they knew those CRT's were
problematic with a short lifespan. If you have a part number, post it here.
You can also try www.parts-link.com , posting it as a wanted part.

From: root on
circuit <circuit(a)123456.tv> wrote:
> Pretty common problem...manufacturers leave stuff on the shelf and never
> reduce costs of spare parts even if you can purchase a new unit with more
> features for less cost of the spare part. The only company I ever saw who
> did differently was SONY on a 27 Inch trinitron CRT (Circa 1982) - which
> they reduced the cost down to $40.00 Retail plus shipping. I dont know if
> that was an experiment they discontinued, or if they knew those CRT's were
> problematic with a short lifespan. If you have a part number, post it here.
> You can also try www.parts-link.com , posting it as a wanted part.

The optical drive is Panasonic VXY2010.
From: Franc Zabkar on
On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 19:29:25 +0000 (UTC), root <NoEMail(a)home.org> put
finger to keyboard and composed:

>I have a Panasonice DMR-EZ28 recorder whose
>optical drive failed. You can buy one
>new for about $225. I called Panasonic to
>check on the price for the drive: $135+$15
>shipping=$150. So I went online to find
>an alternate source: I found two places.
>Parts something or other had one at $340
>and MCM had one at $450. I used to buy
>from MCM when VCRs were worth repairing.
>Now?

Some manufacturers will do evil things to prevent you from replacing
your HD or optical drive with a generic unit. I believe Panasonic may
be one of these.

FWIW, I've replaced the optical drive in an LG recorder with a PC IDE
type. The replacement was also an LG, though. I don't know if non-LG
drives would have worked because I didn't have any other brands to
experiment with.

One hiccup for LG drives may be the interface. Some designs use a
mini-flex version of the standard 40-pin IDE. In this case you can use
a small adapter PCB (supplied with some LG drives) to handle the
connector conversion.

- Franc Zabkar
From: root on
Franc Zabkar <fzabkar(a)iinternode.on.net> wrote:

> One hiccup for LG drives may be the interface. Some designs use a
> mini-flex version of the standard 40-pin IDE. In this case you can use
> a small adapter PCB (supplied with some LG drives) to handle the
> connector conversion.
>
> - Franc Zabkar

The Panasonic drive is connected with a flex cable.
It never occurred to me that the cable may simply
be a version of the standard ide interface. How
can I tell?
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Lucas 9EM ignition module.