From: Andy Hewitt on
Michelle Steiner <michelle(a)michelle.org> wrote:

> I've been reading a lot of recommendations for 1Password here and on some
> web sites.
>
> What exactly are its advantages over the OS's keychain? And are there any
> tradeoffs?

It seems a much more comprehensive way to generate and store passwords.
It's just like Keychain on steroids really. I like it and use it myself
here, it automatically generates and remembers very strong passwords for
each site you go to, and can handle multiple logins. It's also much
easier to access the passwords, so you can copy and paste into a
supplementary dialogue, for example.

There's also only one login stored for each site, rather than one for
each site on each browser.

It can also hold all your personal details, and various bank account and
credit/debit cards - all securely - which can be used to autfill in many
forms.

The only downside I found was the greater learning curve, there's lots
it can do.

Overall though, I find it has encouraged me to modify my own use of
passwords, where I used to use one password for everything and just use
Keychain to make it easy to login to each site, I now have unique
passwords for each site, and all are 'strong' with at least 11
characters.

Check out the FAQ here:

https://agilewebsolutions.com/products/1Password/user_guide

--
Andy Hewitt
<http://web.me.com/andrewhewitt1/>
From: Tom Harrington on
In article
<michelle-9F9994.10380719072010(a)62-183-169-81.bb.dnainternet.fi>,
Michelle Steiner <michelle(a)michelle.org> wrote:

> In article <1jlw2rc.lq0ht6u8kc00N%thewildrover(a)me.com>,
> thewildrover(a)me.com (Andy Hewitt) wrote:
>
> > It seems a much more comprehensive way to generate and store passwords.
>
> Thanks.

Another thing I've liked about 1Password is the ability to easily share
passwords between Macs via a free Dropbox account. If I create a new
account on one Mac, it's automatically available in 1Password on my
other Macs.

It can also sync to an iPhone app, which is very nice to have though not
automatic.

--
Tom "Tom" Harrington
Independent Mac OS X developer since 2002
From: AWSGita on
This article may help answer your questions:
http://help.agile.ws/1Password3/1password_safari_keychain_comparison.html

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask:
http://agile.ws/support

--
Gita Lal
AWS Customer Care