From: Eddy Parris on
Hi everyone and happy new year :)

Sometime over the weekend I had a power blip that shut ny debian sarge box down.
When i booted it this morning i found this lovely message:

Begin: Running /scripts/init-premount ....
FATAL: Error inserting fan (/lib/modules/2.6.14-2-386/kernel/drivers/acpi/fan.ko): No such device
FATAL: Error inserting thermal (/lib/modules/2.6.14-2-386/kernel/drivers/acpi/thermal.ko): No such device

it then leaves me with a simple busy box shell with only what is in the initrd.
Now, this machine was up for probly 3-4 months or so before it went down, I have not updated in a while
as i dont ever login and use it that often but it has a few cron scripts and nfs shares that are pretty important
and i really need to get them back.
I think the problem is that when i did last update it, it updated the kernel and told me to reboot asap...
...which i probly just forgot about so when it has come back up it has not had an updated ram disk with
these new drivers and cant boot. silly of me i know but its happened and i really need to get this
back up asap.

Does anyone have a clue of how i can a) boot off a cd and then maybe chroot and create a new ramdisk
(not sure this is the best way but the only thing ive thought would work so far)
or b) any other ideas are welcome!

If anyone has a clue how to save this i would be very very grateful

thanks alot

Edd Parris

.'' ` . Edward Parris : http://www.communecation..net/
: :' : Social Engineer : http://socialengineer.communecation.net/
`. `'` Debian Linux : http://www.debian.org : How Gnu are You?
`-

From: Peter Teunissen on

On 2-jan-2007, at 11:48, Eddy Parris wrote:

> Hi everyone and happy new year :)
>
> Sometime over the weekend I had a power blip that shut ny debian
> sarge box down.
> When i booted it this morning i found this lovely message:
>
> Begin: Running /scripts/init-premount ...
> FATAL: Error inserting fan (/lib/modules/2.6.14-2-386/kernel/
> drivers/acpi/fan.ko): No such device
> FATAL: Error inserting thermal (/lib/modules/2.6.14-2-386/kernel/
> drivers/acpi/thermal.ko): No such device

<snip>
> I think the problem is that when i did last update it, it updated
> the kernel and told me to reboot asap...
> ...which i probly just forgot about so when it has come back up it
> has not had an updated ram disk with
> these new drivers and cant boot. silly of me i know but its
> happened and i really need to get this
> back up asap.
<snip>

You could simply select the last kernel version from before the
update in grub/lilo during startup. If it's just the kernel upgrade,
it should boot fine after that...

Peter

Eddy Parris wrote:
> Hi everyone and happy new year :)
>
> Sometime over the weekend I had a power blip that shut ny debian sarge box down.
> When i booted it this morning i found this lovely message:
>
> Begin: Running /scripts/init-premount ...
> FATAL: Error inserting fan (/lib/modules/2.6.14-2-386/kernel/drivers/acpi/fan.ko): No such device
> FATAL: Error inserting thermal (/lib/modules/2.6.14-2-386/kernel/drivers/acpi/thermal.ko): No such device
>
> it then leaves me with a simple busy box shell with only what is in the initrd.
> Now, this machine was up for probly 3-4 months or so before it went down, I have not updated in a while
> as i dont ever login and use it that often but it has a few cron scripts and nfs shares that are pretty important
> and i really need to get them back.
> I think the problem is that when i did last update it, it updated the kernel and told me to reboot asap...
> ...which i probly just forgot about so when it has come back up it has not had an updated ram disk with
> these new drivers and cant boot. silly of me i know but its happened and i really need to get this
> back up asap.
>
> Does anyone have a clue of how i can a) boot off a cd and then maybe chroot and create a new ramdisk
> (not sure this is the best way but the only thing ive thought would work so far)
> or b) any other ideas are welcome!
>
> If anyone has a clue how to save this i would be very very grateful
>
> thanks alot
>
> Edd Parris

and backups don't exist?

Hugo

Thanks for the replys guys but i managed to sort this. I used a rescue/install cd from here
http://people.debian.org/~jgoerzen/dfs/html/
with a most similar kernel, i mounted proc and sys on my mounted drive
then chrooted in and created a new initrd image, rebooted and it was fine.

thanks again