Next: Grant
From: Pekka Enberg on
Hi Andy,

On 1/25/06, Andy Whitcroft <apw(a)shadowen.org> wrote:
> It seems that something is causing panic's on some of our test beds. At
> first sight it appears to be something slab related (alloc_slabmgmt). I
> had a quick look at what had been added in -mm3 (as -mm2 is ok) but the
> only things that jumped out really didn't want to be backed out.
>
> Any suggestions as to what I should try?

Does reverting the following patch make the panic go away?

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.16-rc1/2.6.16-rc1-mm3/broken-out/slab-cache_estimate-cleanup.patch

If not, you can safely revert the following patches one by one in reverse order:

slab-distinguish-between-object-and-buffer-size.patch
slab-minor-cleanup-to-kmem_cache_alloc_node.patch
slab-have-index_of-bug-at-compile-time.patch
slab-cache_estimate-cleanup.patch
slab-extract-slab_destroy_objs.patch
slab-extract-slab_putget_obj.patch
slab-reduce-inlining.patch
slab-extract-virt_to_cacheslab.patch
slab-rename-ac_data-to-cpu_cache_get.patch
slab-replace-kmem_cache_t-with-struct-kmem_cache.patch
slab-fix-kzalloc-and-kstrdup-caller-report-for-config_debug_slab.patch
mm-slab-add-kernel-doc-for-one-function.patch
slab-fix-sparse-warning.patch

Pekka
-
From: Nick Piggin on
Hi,

Michal Piotrowski wrote:
> ------------[ cut here ]------------
> kernel BUG at /usr/src/linux-mm/include/linux/mm.h:302!
> invalid opcode: 0000 [#1]
> PREEMPT SMP DEBUG_PAGEALLOC
> last sysfs file: /class/vc/vcsa7/dev
> Modules linked in: binfmt_misc thermal fan processor ipv6 w83627hf
> hwmon_vid hwmon i2c_isa snd_intel8x0 snd_ac97_codec snd_ac97_bus
> sk98lin snd_pcm_oss snd_mixer_oss skge intel_agp snd_pcm snd_timer snd
> soundcore i2c_i801 parport_pc parport snd_page_alloc 8250_pnp 8250
> serial_core agpgart rtc ide_cd cdrom hw_random unix
> CPU: 0
> EIP: 0060:[<b013fe81>] Not tainted VLI
> EFLAGS: 00210246 (2.6.16-rc1-mm3 #1)
> EIP is at release_pages+0x33/0x15e

Is it repeatable?

If so, I'd imagine it must be a specific driver page which is not properly
refcounted somewhere. A bug in generic code would have shown up elsewhere
by now.

Can you try something like the attached patch and see what it gives you?

Thanks,
Nick

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.

From: Andy Whitcroft on
Pekka Enberg wrote:
> Does reverting the following patch make the panic go away?
>
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.16-rc1/2.6.16-rc1-mm3/broken-out/slab-cache_estimate-cleanup.patch

No luck with that one ... I'll try the others you suggested.

Cheers.

-apw
-
From: Andrew Morton on
Alexander Gran <alex(a)zodiac.dnsalias.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> mm3 is basically running ok, however it has one problem (that ocurs in mm2,
> too):
> My Netbeans (java-ide) debugger is to slow. It takes some ms (up to 1000 I'd
> think) to step over one line, in 13-rc2-mm1 I cannot realize a delay at all.
> Any Idea how to profile the kernel/my system to get an Idea. Everything else
> (C, C++, java apps..) are running fine.

Strange. It might be worth checking 2.6.16-rc1-git4.

If the CPU load is high (ie: 100%) during the delay, and it's mostly system
time then yes, a kernel profile would be interesting.
Documentation/basic_profiling.txt has details.
-
From: Pekka Enberg on
On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 16:46 +0000, Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> Pekka Enberg wrote:
> > Does reverting the following patch make the panic go away?
> >
> > http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.16-rc1/2.6.16-rc1-mm3/broken-out/slab-cache_estimate-cleanup.patch
>
> No luck with that one ... I'll try the others you suggested.

Does vanilla 2.6.16-rc1 work for you? The oops definitely makes me think
it's slab related but the other patches don't seem likely suspects.

Pekka

-
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8