Next: Grant
From: Andy Whitcroft on
Pekka Enberg wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 16:46 +0000, Andy Whitcroft wrote:
>
>>Pekka Enberg wrote:
>>
>>>Does reverting the following patch make the panic go away?
>>>
>>>http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.16-rc1/2.6.16-rc1-mm3/broken-out/slab-cache_estimate-cleanup.patch
>>
>>No luck with that one ... I'll try the others you suggested.
>

> Does vanilla 2.6.16-rc1 work for you? The oops definitely makes me think
> it's slab related but the other patches don't seem likely suspects.

None of the other patches you suggested seem to be it either :/. Yes
2.6.16-rc1 was ok on the boxs in question.

Cheers.

-apw
-
From: Alexander Gran on
Am Mittwoch, 25. Januar 2006 18:21 schrieb Andrew Morton:
> Strange. It might be worth checking 2.6.16-rc1-git4.

Hmm. I need reiser4. I'll have to see how I get that into git-4. ok

> If the CPU load is high (ie: 100%) during the delay, and it's mostly system
> time then yes, a kernel profile would be interesting.
> Documentation/basic_profiling.txt has details.

No, Cpu is at 600Mhz (Centrino, would increase to 1600 if load demands), and
running at ~10%.

The delays must have an other reason. It makes no difference at all if i hit
skip-over on something like
i *= 1;
or
doSomePrettyHeavyThing();
which imo prooves that there is no cpu-performance bottleneck.

regards
Alex

--
Encrypted Mails welcome.
PGP-Key at http://zodiac.dnsalias.org/misc/pgpkey.asc | Key-ID: 0x6D7DD291
From: Greg KH on
On Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 11:44:14PM +1300, Reuben Farrelly wrote:

> On 25/01/2006 8:24 p.m., Andrew Morton wrote:
> >http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.16-rc1/2.6.16-rc1-mm3/
> >
> >- Dropped the timekeeping patch series due to a complex timesource
> >selection
> > bug.
> >
> >- Various fixes and updates.
>
> Generally quite good again :)
>
> I'm seeing this USB "handoff" warning message logged when booting up:
>
> 0000:00:1d.7 EHCI: BIOS handoff failed (BIOS bug ?)
>
> This is not new to this -mm release, looking back over my bootlogs I note
> that 2.6-15-rc5-mm1 was OK, but 2.6.15-mm4 was showing this message. I'll
> narrow it down if it doesn't appear obvious what the problem is.

When this happens, does your usb-ehci driver still work properly
(meaning do usb 2.0 devices connect and go at the proper high speeds)?

And if you change the USB setting in your bios, does this error message
go away?

thanks,

greg k-h
-
From: Pekka Enberg on
Hi Andy,

On 1/25/06, Andy Whitcroft <apw(a)shadowen.org> wrote:
> None of the other patches you suggested seem to be it either :/. Yes
> 2.6.16-rc1 was ok on the boxs in question.

Then I dont see how it could be slab related. At this point, the only
suggestion I have is bisecting akpm-style:

http://www.zip.com.au/~akpm/linux/patches/stuff/bisecting-mm-trees.txt

Thanks!

Pekka
-
From: Michal Piotrowski on
Hi,

On 25/01/06, Nick Piggin <nickpiggin(a)yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Michal Piotrowski wrote:
> > ------------[ cut here ]------------
> > kernel BUG at /usr/src/linux-mm/include/linux/mm.h:302!
> > invalid opcode: 0000 [#1]
> > PREEMPT SMP DEBUG_PAGEALLOC
> > last sysfs file: /class/vc/vcsa7/dev
> > Modules linked in: binfmt_misc thermal fan processor ipv6 w83627hf
> > hwmon_vid hwmon i2c_isa snd_intel8x0 snd_ac97_codec snd_ac97_bus
> > sk98lin snd_pcm_oss snd_mixer_oss skge intel_agp snd_pcm snd_timer snd
> > soundcore i2c_i801 parport_pc parport snd_page_alloc 8250_pnp 8250
> > serial_core agpgart rtc ide_cd cdrom hw_random unix
> > CPU: 0
> > EIP: 0060:[<b013fe81>] Not tainted VLI
> > EFLAGS: 00210246 (2.6.16-rc1-mm3 #1)
> > EIP is at release_pages+0x33/0x15e
>
> Is it repeatable?
>
> If so, I'd imagine it must be a specific driver page which is not properly
> refcounted somewhere. A bug in generic code would have shown up elsewhere
> by now.
>
> Can you try something like the attached patch and see what it gives you?
>
> Thanks,
> Nick
>
> --
> SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.