From: Gene Heskett on
Phenom 9550, 4G ram, asus m2n-sli deluxe mobo, all sata drives (4 + optical
burner)

I have now built 35-rc4 4 times, the last 2 with

2.6.31-12-mdv.config & make oldconfig (lots of accepts), & build

And a working .config from 2.6.35-rc3 + make oldconfig (no changes reported)
& build.

Both fail at the attached image point booting from a grub2 menu on a
different drive that has been working with rc3 for quite a few boots but its
all bitchy this morning so is booted to the mdv 2.6.31-12 kernel above ATM.

Last .config also attached.

What do I need to do here?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
From: Eric W. Biederman on
Gene Heskett <gene.heskett(a)gmail.com> writes:

> Phenom 9550, 4G ram, asus m2n-sli deluxe mobo, all sata drives (4 + optical
> burner)
>
> I have now built 35-rc4 4 times, the last 2 with
>
> 2.6.31-12-mdv.config & make oldconfig (lots of accepts), & build
>
> And a working .config from 2.6.35-rc3 + make oldconfig (no changes reported)
> & build.
>
> Both fail at the attached image point booting from a grub2 menu on a
> different drive that has been working with rc3 for quite a few boots but its
> all bitchy this morning so is booted to the mdv 2.6.31-12 kernel above ATM.
>
> Last .config also attached.
>
> What do I need to do here?

That does sound bizarre. You have some weird initrd dependency on the
kernel doing something, but it isn't clear to me what that might be.
Shrug.

Not being able to mount /dev and /sys feels like they simply weren't
compiled in. But your config suggests otherwise.

Eric
From: Randy Dunlap on
On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 23:42:09 -0700 Eric W. Biederman wrote:

> Gene Heskett <gene.heskett(a)gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Phenom 9550, 4G ram, asus m2n-sli deluxe mobo, all sata drives (4 + optical
> > burner)
> >
> > I have now built 35-rc4 4 times, the last 2 with
> >
> > 2.6.31-12-mdv.config & make oldconfig (lots of accepts), & build
> >
> > And a working .config from 2.6.35-rc3 + make oldconfig (no changes reported)
> > & build.
> >
> > Both fail at the attached image point booting from a grub2 menu on a
> > different drive that has been working with rc3 for quite a few boots but its
> > all bitchy this morning so is booted to the mdv 2.6.31-12 kernel above ATM.
> >
> > Last .config also attached.
> >
> > What do I need to do here?
>
> That does sound bizarre. You have some weird initrd dependency on the
> kernel doing something, but it isn't clear to me what that might be.
> Shrug.
>
> Not being able to mount /dev and /sys feels like they simply weren't
> compiled in. But your config suggests otherwise.

I would change the second line below to be enabled:

CONFIG_DEVTMPFS=y
# CONFIG_DEVTMPFS_MOUNT is not set

and give that a shot.

---
~Randy
From: Eric W. Biederman on
Randy Dunlap <rdunlap(a)xenotime.net> writes:

> On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 23:42:09 -0700 Eric W. Biederman wrote:
>
>> Gene Heskett <gene.heskett(a)gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > Phenom 9550, 4G ram, asus m2n-sli deluxe mobo, all sata drives (4 + optical
>> > burner)
>> >
>> > I have now built 35-rc4 4 times, the last 2 with
>> >
>> > 2.6.31-12-mdv.config & make oldconfig (lots of accepts), & build
>> >
>> > And a working .config from 2.6.35-rc3 + make oldconfig (no changes reported)
>> > & build.
>> >
>> > Both fail at the attached image point booting from a grub2 menu on a
>> > different drive that has been working with rc3 for quite a few boots but its
>> > all bitchy this morning so is booted to the mdv 2.6.31-12 kernel above ATM.
>> >
>> > Last .config also attached.
>> >
>> > What do I need to do here?
>>
>> That does sound bizarre. You have some weird initrd dependency on the
>> kernel doing something, but it isn't clear to me what that might be.
>> Shrug.
>>
>> Not being able to mount /dev and /sys feels like they simply weren't
>> compiled in. But your config suggests otherwise.
>
> I would change the second line below to be enabled:
>
> CONFIG_DEVTMPFS=y
> # CONFIG_DEVTMPFS_MOUNT is not set
>
> and give that a shot.

That is such a truly evil option. *shiver*

Eric