From: Christoph Hellwig on
We had a thread about it a few days ago. The following commit from
Jens' 2.6.36 tree needs to go into 2.6.35 to sort the issues with the
fragile wakeup mechanism which only got worse by the patches out:

http://git.kernel.dk/?p=linux-2.6-block.git;a=commitdiff;h=79338d2a78ab78efdc1698f1309766a039addf9d
From: Ingo Molnar on

* Ingo Molnar <mingo(a)elte.hu> wrote:

> * Christoph Hellwig <hch(a)infradead.org> wrote:
>
> > We had a thread about it a few days ago. The following commit from
> > Jens' 2.6.36 tree needs to go into 2.6.35 to sort the issues with the
> > fragile wakeup mechanism which only got worse by the patches out:
> >
> > http://git.kernel.dk/?p=linux-2.6-block.git;a=commitdiff;h=79338d2a78ab78efdc1698f1309766a039addf9d
>
> I've attached it below - in case someone wants to apply it before it hits
> upstream.
>
> Scary big patch btw. - is there no smaller fix?

Nor does it apply to v2.6.35-rc4:

Applying: writeback: simplify the write back thread queue
error: patch failed: fs/fs-writeback.c:703
error: fs/fs-writeback.c: patch does not apply
Patch failed at 0001 writeback: simplify the write back thread queue

I guess it has other dependencies as well. If you want me to test the fix then
please send a version that applies.

Thanks,

Ingo
From: Christoph Hellwig on
On Mon, Jul 05, 2010 at 07:14:20PM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> Nor does it apply to v2.6.35-rc4:

It's indeed missing the two previous patches to the writeback code that
I thought Jens sent to Linus aswell [1]. The race was initially found using
a distro kernel with the patches backported, and in the meantime we've
done a lot of testing with this patch (and the two previous that also
were backported). I'd prefer to get this full stack that's been in
-next for a while and got large machine testing, but if Jens prefers it
I can aim for a smaller variant. Jens, what version do you prefer?

[1] thee patches are:

"writeback: remove writeback_inodes_wbc" a73dd720f081cd160e3843d531eff2195036e442
"writeback: split writeback_inodes_wb" 9f98c0faa41ae334d894762f556195c8a7fb352f