From: Gary Smith on
Our Q2 patch cycle is coming up and I was going to upgrade 2.6.5 -> 2.6.6 on the servers but then though maybe 2.6.5 -> 2.7.0 might be in order. I have everything ready to go either way (download and created RPM's for both 2..6.6 and 2.7.0).

Is there any consideration that needs to be made in regards to the config file for going to 2.7.0? I know you guys have done a great job in the past of making upgrades seamless (at least for me anyway).

Gary-

From: Victor Duchovni on
On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 08:47:27AM -0700, Gary Smith wrote:

> Our Q2 patch cycle is coming up and I was going to upgrade 2.6.5 -> 2.6.6 on the servers but then though maybe 2.6.5 -> 2.7.0 might be in order. I have everything ready to go either way (download and created RPM's for both 2.6.6 and 2.7.0).
>
> Is there any consideration that needs to be made in regards to the config file for going to 2.7.0? I know you guys have done a great job in the past of making upgrades seamless (at least for me anyway).

Everything you need to know is the RELEASE_NOTES.

--
Viktor.

From: Gary Smith on
> Everything you need to know is the RELEASE_NOTES.

Read them already... I just wanted to do a double check first.

Thanks,

Gary-

From: Erik Logtenberg on
Postfix 2.7.0 is stable and thus considered production ready. The
2.7-release features some nice improvements over the 2.6-release,
described in the release notes:

http://postfix.rhinotech.nl/postfix-release/official/postfix-2.7.0.RELEASE_NOTES

There may be several legitimate reasons to stick with an older version
for some time, but if it's all the same to you, then using the latest
stable release is always the best default choice.

Please note that although postscreen is shipped with 2.7.0, it is not
yet considered production quality. That's why it is disabled by default.
For a production environment you'd probably best leave it that way.

-- Erik.

From: Gary Smith on
> There may be several legitimate reasons to stick with an older version
> for some time, but if it's all the same to you, then using the latest
> stable release is always the best default choice.

For products like postfix (in terms of how they manager their product), I have high confidence when they release stable versions, so I like to stick with the newest stable. I was already in line to release the 2.7.0 to test servers when the 2.6.6 notification came out today. I've built both, but will go with 2.7.0

Gary-