From: Kaleb Hosie on
I am running CentOS 5.4 and the latest version of Postfix it has on the repository is version 2.3.3. After looking at the Postfix site I found out that that version is no longer updated.

Is it worth downloading the source code for the latest stable version and manually compile and install it? Or is it worth sticking with the version the repository has? Thanks

Kaleb

From: Victor Duchovni on
On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 01:50:30PM -0400, Kaleb Hosie wrote:

> I am running CentOS 5.4 and the latest version of Postfix it has on the repository is version 2.3.3. After looking at the Postfix site I found out that that version is no longer updated.
>
> Is it worth downloading the source code for the latest stable version and manually compile and install it? Or is it worth sticking with the version the repository has? Thanks

Simon J. Mudd's web-site has binary RPMs and source RPMs, that are perhaps
a better fit for CentOS than building from postfix.org source. I don't
believe Simon's RPMs introduce any objectionable patches.

http://ftp.wl0.org/
http://ftp.wl0.org/official/2.7/

--
Viktor.

From: Brian Mathis on
On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 1:50 PM, Kaleb Hosie <khosie(a)spectraaluminum.com> wrote:
> I am running CentOS 5.4 and the latest version of Postfix it has on the repository is version 2.3.3. After looking at the Postfix site I found out that that version is no longer updated.
>
> Is it worth downloading the source code for the latest stable version and manually compile and install it? Or is it worth sticking with the version the repository has? Thanks
>
> Kaleb

If you need a feature in the newer versions, then you'll have to
upgrade somehow. You should always try to find a source for RPMs
instead of building from source.

However, if you do not need new features and are just worried about
security fixes, please read
http://www.redhat.com/security/updates/backporting/?sc_cid=3093 which
explains how Redhat (and CentOS) handle security fixes. In short,
they backport all security fixes into the version that is installed in
a supported CentOS version.

In other words, there is no need to upgrade unless you need features.
This is how all packages work in an Enterprise-level OS like
RHEL/CentOS.

From: Carlos Mennens on
On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 1:50 PM, Kaleb Hosie <khosie(a)spectraaluminum.com> wrote:
> I am running CentOS 5.4 and the latest version of Postfix it has on the repository is version 2.3.3. After looking at the Postfix site I found out that that version is no longer updated.
>
> Is it worth downloading the source code for the latest stable version and manually compile and install it? Or is it worth sticking with the version the repository has? Thanks

I recommend staying with your distributions maintainers version. Like
noted before me, unless there's a huge requirement for a feature not
available in RHEL / CentOS's version...just keep using what you have.
Simon Mudd's is also someone who dedicates a lot of time into his
RPM's however I have never tested them and don't know what happens in
regards to future patches and how Yum handles this.

Good luck!

From: Gary Smith on
> I am running CentOS 5.4 and the latest version of Postfix it has on the
> repository is version 2.3.3. After looking at the Postfix site I found out
> that that version is no longer updated.
Kaleb,

RedHat tends to backport security patches even for older products, when they can. I personally run CentOS 5.x, with several custom (up to date) packages. The problem is downloading current and using that may break something else. So it's up to you on how to approach this. There are a few different SRPMS's out there for this. If you haven't built a package before, you might want to find one that's already made.