From: Steve on
Hi,

I am running a sendmail server (A) for my domain....

Now, I want to receive some logwatch files from another server (B)

How can I configure this "logwatch" server ( using sendmail ), to send
to me the logwatch ( by email ) to the Email server (A) ?

How can I configure the sendmail (B), to connect to server (A) ? (
without going "outside"
I would prefer, that emails stay on the LAN , than creating a second
email server...

thanks

Steve
From: ska on
Steve wrote:

> I am running a sendmail server (A) for my domain....
>
> Now, I want to receive some logwatch files from another server (B)
>
> How can I configure this "logwatch" server ( using sendmail ), to send
> to me the logwatch ( by email ) to the Email server (A) ?

Let logwatch sent its mail to an user of your domain or alias a local
user to an user of your domain.

> How can I configure the sendmail (B), to connect to server (A) ? (
> without going "outside"
> I would prefer, that emails stay on the LAN , than creating a second
> email server...

Er, I'm propably do not understand completely, what server B shall do.

some ideas:
a) firewall server B off the internet.
b) use the access DB to allow your domain only (and probably local
deliver) and REJECT anything else.
c) use mailertable like so:
your.domain. esmtp:[serverA]
your.domain esmtp:[serverA]
.. error:5.1.1:550 Blocked access
# The single dot is the catch all entry
d) use SMART_HOST of server B and forward any mail to server A.

-ska
From: Steve on
ska wrote:
> Steve wrote:
>
>> I am running a sendmail server (A) for my domain....
>>
>> Now, I want to receive some logwatch files from another server (B)
>>
>> How can I configure this "logwatch" server ( using sendmail ), to send
>> to me the logwatch ( by email ) to the Email server (A) ?
>
> Let logwatch sent its mail to an user of your domain or alias a local
> user to an user of your domain.
>
>> How can I configure the sendmail (B), to connect to server (A) ? (
>> without going "outside"
>> I would prefer, that emails stay on the LAN , than creating a second
>> email server...
>
> Er, I'm propably do not understand completely, what server B shall do.
>
> some ideas:
> a) firewall server B off the internet.
> b) use the access DB to allow your domain only (and probably local
> deliver) and REJECT anything else.
> c) use mailertable like so:
> your.domain. esmtp:[serverA]
> your.domain esmtp:[serverA]
> . error:5.1.1:550 Blocked access
> # The single dot is the catch all entry
> d) use SMART_HOST of server B and forward any mail to server A.
>
> -ska

Hi Ska,

Well, the server B doesn't do a lot :-)
Server A and Server B are in the same LAN

On B, which a DNS server for instance, a Log file is sent ( that's it )
AFIK, when an email is sent from such an application, it uses sendmail...

So, instead of re-installing a complete sendmail system on B ( and
having an independent email server, I just wonder if there is a way that
Sendmail from server B, connect and send an email via the LAN,
directly... wtithout using the DNS, going on Internet...
this are pure log messages... no need to re-install a second sendmail..

the Server A ( Email server ) do the job properly.. :-)

Thanks
From: ska on
Steve wrote:

> Well, the server B doesn't do a lot :-)
> Server A and Server B are in the same LAN
>
> On B, which a DNS server for instance, a Log file is sent ( that's it )
> AFIK, when an email is sent from such an application, it uses sendmail...

Well, any MTA will provide the sendmail (fake) binary to submit
messages or the port 25 interface.

> So, instead of re-installing a complete sendmail system on B ( and
> having an independent email server, I just wonder if there is a way that

There are (or used to be) sendmail-(fake)-binaries that forwarded the
message via SMTP to somewhere, but usually you need a local MTA for an
Unix system. IMHO you should deploy the default MTA of your distro,
configure server A as smarthost, define as much as possible to avoid
overhead (e.g. putting server names into /etc/hosts), also configure
aliases for well known local recipients, like postmaster and root.

Then configure logwatch to mail to local root :-)

> this are pure log messages... no need to re-install a second sendmail..

Regards,

-ska