From: nospam on
I am setting up sendmail to relay with a external mail server and I have
been testing using "sendmail -O LogLevel=14 -bd -X /etc/mail/output.log"

The first thing I ran into when examining the output.log was that the
base64 encoding submitted for the password and user name was not the
same as when I encoded them manually. When I decoded what was shown as
being used in the log, the results also appeared to be base64 encoded so
I decoded them a second time. On the second decode my plain user name
and password were the results.

Apparently sendmail is encoding my user name and password to base64
twice before submitting it. My first thought was that I had the user
name and password already encoded in my authinfo file but that was not
the case. My second thought was that perhaps I had doubled up on an
entry in the .mc file, but that also was not the reason. I don't even
know if the latter is even possible without an error but I checked
anyway.

A Google search has failed to show up anything along those lines.

Has anyone seen this before?

In the meantime I will keep trying different words in my Google searches
and poking around the sendmail docs. Perhaps I will get lucky.

From: nospam on
In article <MPG.26159a64615c1f20989692(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
nospam(a)notreal.com says...
> I am setting up sendmail to relay with a external mail server and I have
> been testing using "sendmail -O LogLevel=14 -bd -X /etc/mail/output.log"
>
> The first thing I ran into when examining the output.log was that the
> base64 encoding submitted for the password and user name was not the
> same as when I encoded them manually. When I decoded what was shown as
> being used in the log, the results also appeared to be base64 encoded so
> I decoded them a second time. On the second decode my plain user name
> and password were the results.
>
> Apparently sendmail is encoding my user name and password to base64
> twice before submitting it. My first thought was that I had the user
> name and password already encoded in my authinfo file but that was not
> the case. My second thought was that perhaps I had doubled up on an
> entry in the .mc file, but that also was not the reason. I don't even
> know if the latter is even possible without an error but I checked
> anyway.
>
> A Google search has failed to show up anything along those lines.
>
> Has anyone seen this before?
>
> In the meantime I will keep trying different words in my Google searches
> and poking around the sendmail docs. Perhaps I will get lucky.

You can disregard. Problem solved and sendmail is working as it should.
It may have been a wrongly configured authinfo file, but I didn't know I
had fixed it.

When I ran "sendmail -O LogLevel=14 -bd -X /etc/mail/output.log" each
time, I didn't realize that it was appending the results to output.log
instead of writing a new log. As a result when I did "cat output.log |
more", I kept looking at the original results over and over. I never
continued scrolling once I saw the area I was interested in.

Oh well, live and learn.

Pages: 1
Prev: ForcedCashGifts
Next: 2* Sendmail needed !?